Old 17-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Jim S

Default [IBC] Dumb Cambium Layer Question

Is the cambium layer made up of distinct, parallel vertical lines, or is it
all one pool of fluid/nutrients, 360 degrees around the trunk?

Thanks,

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Jim Lewis

Is the cambium layer made up of distinct, parallel vertical
lines, or is it
all one pool of fluid/nutrients, 360 degrees around the trunk?

The cambium is a thin layer of active cells that lies just under
the bark and just above the "wood."

The upper (outside) part of the cambium makes new bark. The
lower (inner) makes new wood.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Jim S

Perhaps I asked the wrong way.

I need to bend a branch on stiff wood. So I thought of cutting a notch on
the under part of the branch, and a bit further out, on the top of the
branch, such that I never cut all the way (360 degrees) around the branch
at any point (even though the total cut between the 2 may be close to 360
degrees).

So, is that safe, or do I need to make sure there are lines complete from
roots to branch?

I hope that is clearer.

Jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-07-2003, 09:43 AM
kevin bailey

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Another option would be to go slowly and do one cut this year and the
other next year. The cambium self-repairs so there shouldn't then be a
problem.

I half sawed through the underside of a pine branch to lower it in
spring 2002. The cut was made neatly and carved clean and then closed
completed by wiring the branch down. I was quite surprised that there
wasn't even a check to the tree's growth. Now it has healed completely
and is almost unnoticeable.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, N Wales, UK

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 17-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Marty Haber

Now you're getting the idea. Yes, there must be continuity from roots to the
branch you're working on. If you cut two notches on the same branch, the
same rule applies.
Marty

Old 17-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Now you're getting the idea. Yes, there must be continuity from roots to the
branch you're working on. If you cut two notches on the same branch, the
same rule applies.
Marty

Trees will compensate for things like that, given time. Both xylem
(water carrying elements) and phloem (nutrient-carrying elements) are
linked end-to-end with many seive-like pores. However, there are
lateral pores, too, and this allows lateral spread. The new growth
from the cambium the year after the cut will differentiate to
compensate as well. So you can make the two notches, but if the tree
experiences water stress, water will travel to other branches faster
than to that branch, weakening it. So make sure the tree is
well-watered until healing occurs.

The cambium is an awesome thing. We're used to thinking of organisms
with support on the outside (insects and crustaceans) or on the
inside (coral), but trees have both.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Frederick, MD

Old 17-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Mark Hill

Thanks for this useful info Nina.

I always wondered how the cambium layer worked.

For example, If I only water a tree on one side, why don't the branches on
the opposite side of the tree die ?
I have trees in my garden that I know only receive water on one side, yet
the branches/leaves continue to grow all around the tree.
The cambium layer must be able to move water laterally as well as
vertically.

Interesting topic !!

Regards
Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA - Zone 6

Old 17-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Nina Shishkoff

The cambium layer must be able to move water laterally as well as
vertically.

The cambium itself does nothing but divide; it gives rise to phloem
on one side, and xylem on the other.

But yeah, city trees have it tough, with pavement typically covering
up half of their root systems. The roots that can get water supply
the whole tree, but since lateral flow is much slower, the dry side
gets stressed. Sometimes you can drive down a city street in
september and see trees that are half-red (on the street side) and
half-green (on the sidewalk side).

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-07-2003, 09:22 PM
David J. Bockman

I don't mean to stick my nose in where PhD's are contributing, but my
gardener's knowledge of botany leads me to note that if I recall correctly
the cambium layer is not engaged at all in the active transport of water or
nutrients. Water is transported from the root system (via root pressure,
changes in gradients, and transpirational pull) along the primary xylem. In
the root system, the cambium (or more properly, the vascular cambium) is
indeed a single cell-thick layer of cells from which arise the production of
primary xylem and primary phloem cells-- how a root gains girth. In the stem
tissue above the roots, there is vascular cambium and cork cambium (I have
heard vascular cambium referred to as intrafasicular cambium). These two
cambium layers work in synchrony to add girth to a trunk and lateral
branching. Vascular cambium lays down wood and inner bark, cork cambium
produces cork (bark).

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

**********
****
**********
****

**************
**************

Old 18-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Marty Haber

John Naka used to talk to himself while demonstrating: "I don't have
branches on this side, so I don't need roots on this side."
What he was saying was that water and nutrients DO move vertically in the
tree.
They do NOT move horizontally. It is, of course, possible for a tree to
keep its leaves on a non-watered side because the neglected side may survive
on rain water or run-off water; but that side will never do as well as the
regularly watered side. Sorry, Mark, but that's the way it is.
Marty

Old 18-07-2003, 01:22 AM
William Valavanis

Marty:

I respectfully disagree with what you said and also what Naka said.

Several decades ago when I was teaching bonsai at Cornell my plant
physiology professor took my Introductory Bonsai course. He corrected
all my mistakes after class, including this myth. Once when talking
about forests I mentioned what John said about removing branches and
roots on the same side of the tree. He said there IS cross movement
within a tree, and a root on the right side of the tree may help to
feed branches on the left side. I tend to believe my professor, rather
than bonsai myths which have been going around for ages.

By the way, I passed my plant physiology class and my professor passed
my bonsai course....

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++