Old 14-06-2008, 04:57 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.irish

Default Lack Of Trees In Irish And British Countrysides

On May 9, 12:15 pm, Si wrote:
On 8 May, 13:49, Des Higgins wrote:

On May 8, 11:15 am, mothed out wrote:

On May 7, 11:53 pm, (Way Back Jack) wrote:

TV documentaries and travelogues reveal a lot of lush "green" in those
countrysides but a relative scarcity of trees. Is it climate? Too
windy in Ireland? Sheep and/or other livestock?

One factor is this:
The EU has been paying farmers to cut down trees for a long time.
I think it is now paying people to plant them again.

Tree coverage in Ireland was at its lowest point a century ago. The
EU has nothing to do with it. In fact, Irish tree coverage has been
slowly growing since the 70s. The trees disappeared for farming, fuel
and for building (including ships), centuries ago.

T'was the towel heads(pasted from an old SCI thread):

"Message from Q'il Q'as (Al Jazzbeera)

Q'adda yen Hamid fastha q'on Aymid?
Tha Tehran A'Q'ilta er Al'Awer.
Ni Al Traw'q ter Q'il Q'as nawat' Ayla'q,
Shni Q'lingfer A'Qling Ibn' Braw "

Si

"Bog snorkler extraordinaire"

This is worth the 45 minutes I've spent poking around in SCI and
another one where Cat put some Irish men in their place (again).

Thanks for the laughs folks, hope you're all well, am keeping busy
with the wee boys.
I believe I will have some downtime in 2015 so keep an eye out for me
then.

Bo xx
Old 14-06-2008, 07:42 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,rec.gardens,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.irish

In article
,
Boliath wrote:

On May 9, 12:15 pm, Si wrote:
[...]

Please join me in the Republican toast.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Late Blight -- Irish Potato Famine Fungus -- Attacks U.S. Northeast Gardens And Farms Hard Charles[_1_] Gardening 1 06-07-2009 06:37 PM
Some of best tools came from Smith and Hawken Irish digging spade ****** Bill who putters Gardening 1 25-05-2009 10:09 PM
Lack Of Trees In Irish And British Countrysides Way Back Jack[_6_] Gardening 118 14-06-2008 07:42 AM
Irish Peat BroJack United Kingdom 8 30-11-2003 07:44 PM
Irish moss Lynn A. Gardening 7 13-04-2003 09:32 AM