Old 03-08-2008, 10:59 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Waneta plum, Beta grape; cuttings versus grafting

Well today I ate me first bunch of grapes from a Beta cultivar and had
my first ripe plums of decent size
from Waneta cultivar.

Too bad I do not have another 40 years to spend on this land for if I
did, I would slowly but surely make cuttings
of my best cultivars and eventually have rows and rows of fruit
orchards of top quality fruit. I would
replace the poor producing trees with the better producers.

And I suspect that with modern day hormone acids for cuttings, that
the need for grafting should be
decreasing as future time rolls by. Improvements in "cutting
techniques" may make grafting archiac.

I would also have some land set aside for a forest with burr-oak, rock-
elm and other trees. Getting
cuttings of the best formed trees and best performing trees.

This is a trouble also of modern day reality of modern day society
with its human overpopulation that
settling down in some area of the country or world is no longer
tenable. When human population of
8 billion humans and ever increasing means that a "home" is only a
temporary home, and where
you have to have your bags half packed or half unpacked in
anticipation of having to move elsewhere
due to environment or political unrest.

In the 1970s, the general feeling in the USA was that if you liked a
place and made a home there, you could
very well live out your life in that locale. And in the 20th century
the concept of a permanent home was
taken for granted. But the present day reality of human overpopulation
and Global Warming and environmental
deterioration, the concept of a permanent home for a lifetime is
fading memory. If an oil refinery is
built near Vermillion South Dakota, I am moving out.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium