Old 06-08-2008, 01:18 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default edible fruit from East Timor

Can somebody please identify the species of fruit tree included in
images at:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/seh2oklc0g.jpg

The place is East Timor. Photos taken last week.

The locals said that the fruit was 'starvation food' among those
people who took to the hills at the time of the Indonesian invasion.

Note the spines on the branchlets.

The skin of the fruit is hard, like that of a pomegranite.

The texture of the pulp is sticky, the flavour somewhat like that of
Passiflora edulis or passion fruit.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:34 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Richard Wright wrote:
Can somebody please identify the species of fruit tree included in
images at:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/seh2oklc0g.jpg

The place is East Timor. Photos taken last week.

The locals said that the fruit was 'starvation food' among those
people who took to the hills at the time of the Indonesian invasion.

Note the spines on the branchlets.

The skin of the fruit is hard, like that of a pomegranite.

The texture of the pulp is sticky, the flavour somewhat like that of
Passiflora edulis or passion fruit.

That sure looks like a member of the Rutaceae, or citrus family. There
are some wickedly spiny/prickly/thorny species.

M. Reed
Old 07-08-2008, 01:00 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:34:54 -0500, monique
wrote:

Richard Wright wrote:
Can somebody please identify the species of fruit tree included in
images at:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/seh2oklc0g.jpg

The place is East Timor. Photos taken last week.

The locals said that the fruit was 'starvation food' among those
people who took to the hills at the time of the Indonesian invasion.

Note the spines on the branchlets.

The skin of the fruit is hard, like that of a pomegranite.

The texture of the pulp is sticky, the flavour somewhat like that of
Passiflora edulis or passion fruit.

That sure looks like a member of the Rutaceae, or citrus family. There
are some wickedly spiny/prickly/thorny species.

M. Reed

Thanks Monique. I am starting to think it is a species from the
Capparaceae. Spines, globose fruit with hard outside skin like a
pomegranite, pulpy flesh, tastes like passion fruit.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Richard Wright wrote:
Can somebody please identify the species of fruit tree included in
images at:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/seh2oklc0g.jpg

The place is East Timor. Photos taken last week.

The locals said that the fruit was 'starvation food' among those
people who took to the hills at the time of the Indonesian invasion.

Note the spines on the branchlets.

The skin of the fruit is hard, like that of a pomegranite.

The texture of the pulp is sticky, the flavour somewhat like that of
Passiflora edulis or passion fruit.

I believe it's Aegle marmelos, the baelfruit, which, as Monique
suggested, is Rutaceae.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 00:53:51 GMT, Malcolm Manners
wrote:

Richard Wright wrote:
Can somebody please identify the species of fruit tree included in
images at:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/seh2oklc0g.jpg

The place is East Timor. Photos taken last week.

The locals said that the fruit was 'starvation food' among those
people who took to the hills at the time of the Indonesian invasion.

Note the spines on the branchlets.

The skin of the fruit is hard, like that of a pomegranite.

The texture of the pulp is sticky, the flavour somewhat like that of
Passiflora edulis or passion fruit.

I believe it's Aegle marmelos, the baelfruit, which, as Monique
suggested, is Rutaceae.

Malcolm

You may well be right.

One residual problem for me is that the fruit tastes so distinctively
of passion fruit. Yet checks I have made on the web describe the fruit
of Aegle marmelos as slightly astringent - no flavour mentioned, so
far as I can find.

Some of the Capparaceae do taste of passion fruit. They are also
spiny.

Richard

Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote:

Richard Wright wrote:

[...]

It's been many years since I ate a baelfruit, but I don't recall any
astringency in a fully ripened fruit. I do remember a strong fruity
flavor (not specifically passionfruit, but that could be failing memory)
and a rather slimy texture. If it was baelfruit, the shell is quite
hard, and the way we used to break them open was to fast-pitch them
against a tree trunk or sidewalk. Was this one's shell hard like that?

Malcolm
Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote:

Richard Wright wrote:

[...]

Yes, indeed, the East Timor fruit fits your vivid description.

Richard
Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote:

Richard Wright wrote:

[...]

Good. Because your photos look exactly right for Aegle.
Malcolm