Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Nightshade Nonsense

Maybe we should cross the Datura with Lycopersicon & send it to the Catskills
with Archie so he can sleep for 20 years.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
Maybe we should cross the Datura with Lycopersicon & send it to the

Catskills with Archie so he can sleep for 20 years.
Iris,

+ + +
Actually, Datura - of zombie fame - would be enough for that. Could we not
cross Datura with Atropa bella-donna and hope he wakes up a sweet and pretty
young girl?
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

So, maybe you should tell us the story of Rip van Winkle and nightshade

Always interested in a nice bit of botanical mythology
PvR

===============
Cereoid+10 schreef
Once again, you completely missed the point, Rinkytink.

Unfortunately, despite the somewhat similar name, you know nothing at all

about the story of Rip Van Winkle or its significance to Archie.

Now if there was a story about a Rinkytink Van Winkie, you might be in

business!!

==============
Iris Cohen schreef
Maybe we should cross the Datura with Lycopersicon & send it to the

Catskills with Archie so he can sleep for 20 years.
Iris,

=============
P van Rijckevorsel wrote

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
o8TY

Would any of you happen to know whether the flower motif on the Corinthian
capital from the tholos of Thymele in the sanctuary of Asklepios at
Epidavros in Greece was the datura.

After all, several sanctuaries of Asklepios in ancient times offered a
facility for sleep, (eg Sikyon, Epidavros) in which dreaming up ones own
cure was highly encouraged.

--
o8TY

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Iris Cohen

hope he wakes up a sweet and pretty young girl?

With the same maggot-eaten brain?

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

hope he wakes up a sweet and pretty young girl?

Iris Cohen schreef
With the same maggot-eaten brain?
Iris,

+ + +

If he/she has a sweet enough disposition, will it matter?
OTH, maybe you have another nightshade you want to add to the mix?
How about Solanum mammosum? Should go over big.
PvR

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Well, the family Solanaceae does contain quite a few narcotic substances.
The effect on you ...
looks like you are on a bad trip
PvR

Cereoid+10 schreef
You been smoking the same wacky weed as Archie, Rinkytink?

You sure are tripping!!
Word, you high fiving mofo.

(I bet that lost quite a bit in translation!!! Better break out the jive

dweeb dictionary!!!)

==================
P van Rijckevorsel wrote

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article m,
Cereoid+10 wrote:
Datura is a strictly New World genus that was completely unknown to the
ancient Greeks.

Consider Papaver somniferum instead. Odysseus and his men did in the land of
the lotus eaters.

Would any of you happen to know whether the flower motif on the Corinthian
capital from the tholos of Thymele in the sanctuary of Asklepios at
Epidavros in Greece was the datura.

After all, several sanctuaries of Asklepios in ancient times offered a
facility for sleep, (eg Sikyon, Epidavros) in which dreaming up ones own
cure was highly encouraged.

They may not have had Datura, but there are numerous plants with the same
kinds of alkaloids found in Europe. They've been used in medicine and ritual
since time immemorial, and also cause visions and nightmares.

If you can post the URL of an image of these capitals, perhaps someone can
identify them.

Btw, the name Datura derives from a Hindi and Sanskrit name for a similar
solanaceous plant.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Cereoid+10

Are you speaking from personal experience, you old hippie?

Which controlled substance are you abusing right now?

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

I am speaking from observation.
At some times you are rational (and even somewhat knowledgeable),
at others you just lash out incoherently as if under the influence.
Looks like drug abuse to me ...
PvR

Cereoid+10 schreef
Are you speaking from personal experience, you old hippie?

Which controlled substance are you abusing right now?

P van Rijckevorsel wrote
Well, the family Solanaceae does contain quite a few narcotic

substances.
The effect on you ...
looks like you are on a bad trip
PvR

Cereoid+10 schreef
You been smoking the same wacky weed as Archie, Rinkytink?

You sure are tripping!!
Word, you high fiving mofo.

(I bet that lost quite a bit in translation!!! Better break out the

jive
to dweeb dictionary!!!)

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Cereoid+10

Yeah right, Rinkytink.

Look who's talking, you space cadet.

Maybe Timothy Leary isn't dead after all.

Looks like drug abuse to me ...

You are never rational nor knowledgeable, you Archie wannabe.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Jie-san Laushi

You are never rational nor knowledgeable, you Archie wannabe.

Oh, Archie's not so bad -- at least he's entertaining. I just hope Mr. "Apples
are Pre-Columbian in North America" doesn't come back -- there was NOTHING
entertaining about him!!

Jie-san Laushi

Huodau lau, xuedau lau, hai you sanfen xue bulai
to email: eliminate redundancy
Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Chris Garvey

Cereoid+10 wrote:
: Yeah right, Rinkytink.

: Look who's talking, you space cadet.

: Maybe Timothy Leary isn't dead after all.

: Looks like drug abuse to me ...

: You are never rational nor knowledgeable, you Archie wannabe.

BTW who do you wannabe?
Original thought does not seem to be your forte.

regards

erastothenes

: P van Rijckevorsel wrote in message
: ...
: I am speaking from observation.
: At some times you are rational (and even somewhat knowledgeable),
: at others you just lash out incoherently as if under the influence.
: Looks like drug abuse to me ...
: PvR
:
: Cereoid+10 schreef
[...]

(:

Taking the "paranoid" out of "delusion".
icq #107970956

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Cereoid+10

Yours is a uninspired statement is a lame excuse for an insult not based on
anything remotely resembling fact, you squirrel nut zipper.

Why bother being anyone but yourself? You never thought of that, you kissass
wannabe in search of a butt buddy with tenure? Maybe its because you are not
worthy based on your own merits alone?

Old 26-04-2003, 01:24 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

FYI: the purpose of newsgroups such as this is not to make insults as
inspired as possible. Actually, insults don't really belong here, either
PvR

Cereoid+10 schreef