Old 26-04-2003, 01:25 PM
June

Default Identify cactus please

Ten years ago, I received a cactus as gift. At the time, it consisted of
a single "stalk" about 2 inches tall and about 1 inch in diameter. It was
green and totally covered with spines (in groups). The spines were about
..25-inch in length. When I received the cactus in early April, it had 2
white flowers that were slightly longer than the spines. The cactus
continued to flower for a few weeks, and produced about 11 flowers in all.
Over the summer, I left the cactus unattended near a sunny window in a
very hot room. When I returned after 4 weeks, the cactus had doubled in
height (although the diameter remained the same). During the next few
months, the cactus continued to grow at an amazing rate and developed
numerous arms. Over a ten-year period, it grew roughly 30 arms. Indeed,
many of the arms grew multiple arms. However, the once-erect cactus is
now bent over. The center stalk grew thinner towards the end and began to
lean about 8 or 9 years ago. The total length of the cactus (from soil to
tip of most extreme arm) is about 8 inches. Sadly, despite my best
efforts, I have never been able to get it to flower again. Nonetheless,
it remains a beautiful plant, and I've enjoyed having and caring for it
over the years. My question is: what type of cactus is it? If my
description doesn't help, I'll be happy to send someone an image. Sorry
to ramble. Your help is appreciated.

June
Old 26-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Iris Cohen

Ten years ago, I received a cactus as gift.
First of all, how do you know it is a cactus? Do the spines come from an areole
or are they just stuck in the stem?
What did the flowers look like?

the once-erect cactus is now bent over. The center stalk grew thinner
towards the end and began to lean about 8 or 9 years ago
Sadly, despite my best efforts, I have never been able to get it to flower
again.
From your description, it sounds as though your plant is not getting enough
light. Do you put it outdoors for the summer? Some cacti and other succulents
require a rest period, some in the summer, others in the winter.
Do a Web search or go to the library and look in an encyclopedia of the cactus
family, as well as an encyclopedia of succulents.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 26-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Cereoid+10

You are leaving out a number of key details.

How many angles are there on the stems? What color are the spines? How are
the spines arranged in groups and how many?

What does the flower look like? How long are they? Do they open during the
day or at night? Is the outside of the flower tube scaly, covered in hairs,
covered with bristles or spines?

Post your image of the plant in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Old 26-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Frank Reichenbacher

"June" wrote in message

[...]

Just a hunch, but I suspect you don't have a cactus. I suspect it is a
Euphorbiaceae, Spurge Family, a succulent from Africa that is very
cactus-like. Cactus spines are produced from circular to elliptical pad-like
structures, often covered with a white to grayish felt, called areoles. The
flowers are produced from within or at the very edge of this structure. Some
Euhporbiaceae succulents have grouped or paired spines and flowers among
them, but it is not an areolar structure.

Frank

June