Old 12-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Bob Y

Default Help: Identify plant

I know I know, but here here are a couple of links to pictures I upped
to a web site.

Please click on them to get the pictures and help me identify this
plant.

No spam, just a couple of pics of the fern or evergreen I found in the
valley below me. Weirdest thing I ever saw. About 10 feet tall, sparse
and about 50 purple globs on it with orange tentacles coming out of
them. By the time I got the camera and went back, most of the globs
were gone. Can't find it anywhere on the net.

Hopefully one of you can help!

Thanks!
Bob

Remove the Spam to E mail.

http://users.adelphia.net/~bob_young/treequestion2.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/~bob_young/treequestion1.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/~bob_young...estionfina.jpg
Old 12-05-2003, 03:09 AM
Iris Cohen

evergreen I found in the
valley below me. Weirdest thing I ever saw. About 10 feet tall, sparse
and about 50 purple globs on it with orange tentacles coming out of
them.

You don't say where you are, but I assume somewhere in the eastern US. The tree
looks like a juniper. Does it have little gray or purple berries? The globs are
the fruiting body of a disease, possibly cedar-apple rust.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 12-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Bob Y

You don't say where you are, but I assume somewhere in the eastern US. The tree
looks like a juniper. Does it have little gray or purple berries? The globs are
the fruiting body of a disease, possibly cedar-apple rust.
Iris,

Yes, in Pa.

You hit the nail right on the head!!! Thank you so much! Been looking
for a couple of days and it was driving me crazy!!! I looked up the
terms you stated and bingo. Pictures etc. Very nice!

Thanks for taking the time to answer!!

Bob
Old 12-05-2003, 03:32 AM
mel turner

In article ,
wrote...
I know I know, but here here are a couple of links to pictures I upped
to a web site.

Please click on them to get the pictures and help me identify this
plant.

No spam, just a couple of pics of the fern or evergreen I found in the
valley below me. Weirdest thing I ever saw. About 10 feet tall, sparse
and about 50 purple globs on it with orange tentacles coming out of
them. By the time I got the camera and went back, most of the globs
were gone. Can't find it anywhere on the net.

Hopefully one of you can help!

http://users.adelphia.net/~bob_young/treequestion2.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/~bob_young/treequestion1.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/~bob_young...estionfina.jpg

Nice pictures of "cedar apple rust", Gymnosporangium sp., on
juniper.

It's a very interesting fungal disease with a complex life cycle
involving infections of two hosts, juniper trees like in your photos,
and apples or close relatives, at different phases of the cycle.

The woody galls it forms on the red cedar trees produce these
gelatinous fruiting bodies only in wet weather.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3055.html
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3024.html
http://plantpath.unl.edu/peartree/ho.../ApCdRust.html
http://www.cce.cornell.edu/suffolk/g...e/cdaprust.htm
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/factsh...s/car/car.html
etc.

It's a serious disease of apples, but not as damaging to the juniper
trees.

If you grow apples, you may want to eliminate infected junipers from
the vicinity.

cheers