Old 17-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Richard Wright

Default nuts from Araucaria

In the ethnographic museum in Cordoba (Argentina) there is a display
of Patagonian material culture. On a grindstone there lie nuts that
are (superficially, at least) indistinguishable in size and shape from
those of the Australian 'bunya' Araucaria bidwillii.

I can't find any reference on the web to the species in Patagonia from
which these nuts might have come.

Can somebody give me a pointer?

The Australian bunya can be seen at:

http://www.saveurs.sympatico.ca/ency...alie/bunya.jpg

Richard Wright

Old 17-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Richard Wright
writes
In the ethnographic museum in Cordoba (Argentina) there is a display
of Patagonian material culture. On a grindstone there lie nuts that
are (superficially, at least) indistinguishable in size and shape from
those of the Australian 'bunya' Araucaria bidwillii.

I can't find any reference on the web to the species in Patagonia from
which these nuts might have come.

The best known South American Araucaria is the Chile Pine or Monkey
Puzzle, which I thought was A. araucana, but IPNI doesn't seem to agree
with this. This does extend into Argentina.

A list of Araucaria names can be obtained from the following URL at IPNI
(International Plant Name Index).

URL:http://www.uk.ipni.org/ipni/IpniServ...amily=&infrafa
mily=&genus=Araucaria&infragenus=&is_apni_record=o n&species=&infraspecie
s=&is_gci_record=on&author_abbrev=&publication_tit le=&is_ik_record=on&sh
ow_rank=all&include_authors=on&include_basionym_au thors=on&query_type=by
_query

Most of these are Australasian, but there's a least one other South
American species, from southern Brasil. You could go through the list
and identify candidate species.

The implication of the following page at the University of Bonn is that
there's just the one species in Argentina.

URL:http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conifers/ar/ar/

And the following page contains a photograph of the cones and seeds.

URL:http://www.conifers.co.nz/araucaria/...ropagation.htm
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 18-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Richard Wright

Yes, but the nuts of Araucaria araucana don't look like those of the
bunya (Araucaria bidwillii). And Araucaria angustifolia has a
sub-tropical distribution (can't find decent pictures of the seeds).

What I am looking for is a species of Araucaria in Patagonia from
which bunya-like seeds might have come.

I am wondering whether some enthusiastic Australian donated bunya nut
seeds to the Argentinian museum and these have now been confused with
a native species.

Old 18-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Richard Wright

OK, I think what's happened is that the museum has wrongly shown the
nuts from Araucaria angustifolia, which is sub-tropical in
distribution and not from Patagonia.

There is a picture of Araucaria angustifolia nuts at

http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conif...gustifolia.htm

They look like bunya nuts.

Richard

Old 18-05-2003, 09:20 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
The best known South American Araucaria is the Chile Pine or Monkey

Puzzle, which I thought was A. araucana, but IPNI doesn't seem to agree
with this. This does extend into Argentina.

A list of Araucaria names can be obtained from the following URL at IPNI

(International Plant Name Index).

+ + +
A list of current conifer names is at
http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/regis...s_accepted.asp
+ + +

The implication of the following page at the University of Bonn is that

there's just the one species in Argentina.
Stewart Robert Hinsley

+ + +
Quite. There are three Cupressacae down the
Fitzroya, Austrocedrus and Pilgerodendron but these have
winged seeds.
Another conifer is Saxegothaea, with seeds up to 3mm wide
Of course the seeds in question are not necessarily of a conifer?
PvR

araucaria angustifolia in he UK? Chris Arundel United Kingdom 3 20-01-2011 09:18 AM
planting near an araucaria hil[_2_] Gardening 1 02-07-2009 04:55 PM
Araucaria Imbricata (_The Monkey Puzzle, or Chilian Pine_) Tina Morris United Kingdom 0 02-06-2008 12:34 AM
Araucaria K. Gardening 6 15-11-2004 09:44 PM
Araucaria angustifolia? Chris Arundel United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 11:31 AM