Old 03-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Chris Arundel

Default araucaria angustifolia in he UK?

Has anyone got any experience of growing Araucaria angustifolia here in the
UK?

I recently ( mid March ) visited the Amsterdam Botanical Garden and
was surprised to see two young ( 2 metre high ) exotic looking trees
labelled " Araucaria ?angustifolia " growing in the open air.

They certainly weren't A. araucana of course and had only suffered
very slight frost damage. The point is it's been a cold winter in
Holland ... Dicksonia antarctica planted out in the same garden have been
completely defoliated.

Does anyone have experience of growing A. angustifolia in the UK and
know anything about it's cultivation?

chris arundel.
Yorkshire.
Old 15-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arundel View Post
Has anyone got any experience of growing Araucaria angustifolia here in the
UK?

I recently ( mid March ) visited the Amsterdam Botanical Garden and
was surprised to see two young ( 2 metre high ) exotic looking trees
labelled " Araucaria ?angustifolia " growing in the open air.

They certainly weren't A. araucana of course and had only suffered
very slight frost damage. The point is it's been a cold winter in
Holland ... Dicksonia antarctica planted out in the same garden have been
completely defoliated.

Does anyone have experience of growing A. angustifolia in the UK and
know anything about it's cultivation?

chris arundel.
Yorkshire.
No, but note that farmers are being paid to reduce food production and plant trees in their fields, so plant proper monkey puzzle (hims and hers) so that future local inhabitants might have something to eat when the trees mature.

I had a lot of seedlings from quickly planted kernels collected in SW Wales. Research how to get one him to five or six hers. Sixteen productive trees should support a person for a year
Old 18-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arundel View Post
Has anyone got any experience of growing Araucaria angustifolia here in the UK?
Talk to Nick at Pan-Global Plants. He sells them, and is keeping a close eye on how well they do. Pan-Global Plants - Home
Btw, I would not infer that you can grow stuff in Yorkshire if you can grow it in Amsterdam. A is surprisingly mild for its location. You see stuff in Amsterdam I couldn't grow where I live, even though I am both south and west of it in south Bucks.
Old 20-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arundel View Post
Has anyone got any experience of growing Araucaria angustifolia here in the UK?
I've just read somewhere else that the one at Wisley is looking undamaged, and it was -10 or worse in that area.

Araucaria K. Gardening 6 15-11-2004 09:44 PM
Eleagnus angustifolia keeled over Janet Galpin United Kingdom 1 18-09-2004 07:22 PM
[IBC] Kalmia Angustifolia Ed Spaans Bonsai 0 02-09-2004 12:44 AM
nuts from Araucaria Richard Wright Plant Science 5 18-05-2003 09:20 AM
Araucaria angustifolia? Chris Arundel United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 11:31 AM