Old 06-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default Is this assumption of acid soil a bad one?

Perhaps I am under a false assumption when I presume an orchard
checkerboarded between pine and apple and fruit trees is excellent
because the
pines will condition the soil to be more acid just what the fruit trees
like.

But this week I am faced with the problem of raking up loads and loads
of
fallen apples that will rot. And fallen apples provide acidity to the
soil itself.

I had presumed that a checkerboarded orchard with pine and apples would
provide acidity from the pine needles but I never figured that the
fallen and
rotting fruits would also provide acidity to the soil.

I suppose the best answer would be for someone who has a fruit orchard
with pine trees mixed in to give us an answer as to whether such a mix
yields great trees? I can vouch for my pear and apple tree next to 2
blue spruce
that the pear is the tallest pear in this region. And the apple next to
the blue
spruce is the most prolific producer.

So I wonder about the contribution to the soil of fallen and rotting
apples.
Surely this must contribute to increasing acidity as well as the pine &
spruce
contributions. Perhaps the contribution of rotting fruit is such a minor
contribution to acidity that it is not noteworthy?

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 09-07-2003, 06:48 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

I have noticed in past years of mulching my young pine trees and spruce and

my raspberries that they seem to do better with a apple mulch of fallen and

rotting apples raked up around apple trees than if I did not give them the
apple mulch. I believe the acidity of rotting apples helps condition the
soil
and the plants grow better. One thing certain in that none of the plants
given
an apple mulching suffered, instead they all did better.