Old 09-07-2003, 06:57 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default protective clothing for mosquitoes

Some weeks ago I posted a thread to sci.materials looking for the
perfect hot
weather suit for mosquito protection and able to endure in hot summer
weather.

I use mosquito netting pants and hooded shirt over a cotton shorts and
T-shirt.
Trouble with the netting is that it feels like wearing wires and often
mosquitoes
land and keep looking around for a portion that is touching the skin to
bite.

If the weather is not that hot I wear a goretex XXL hooded jacket and a
rain
pants. These two are the ultimate for dense mosquitos and also for tick
infestated woods. Trouble is that it is too hot in summer heat.

Recently I found a nice alternative. Columbia makes a pants of nylon
that
is very breathable for even the hottest July days. The trouble with it
is that
if I am not in motion and still then the mosquito will bury its
proboscis
into the fabric and bite the skin. But if I am in sort of constant
active
motion that the bagginess of these pants sort of wards them off in the
motion and they are comfortable in the heat and the sweat does not
soak into the pants.

I still believe the ultimate summer clothing for the future will be a
jumpsuit
type of garment that is air conditioned and where no insect can
penetrate the
garment and the only spots to protect is the face and possibly fingers
if doing
dexterous work.

I am rather surprized that no clothing manufacturer in the past 50 years

has deemed a "insect proof garment for the summer" of top priority.

I do believe there is alot of room for improvement of netted garments.
And
although netted garments would not be tick proof, I suspect they can be
made to be mosquito and fly proof.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 09-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Karl Johanson

I've never seen any type of insect wear any type of clothing, let alone a
mosquito wearing protective clothing. Little tiny gloves & helmets with
holes for their snoots? Micro flack jackets? What are we talking about here?

Karl Johanson

Old 09-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Tim Worstall

"Karl Johanson" wrote in message .ca...
I've never seen any type of insect wear any type of clothing, let alone a
mosquito wearing protective clothing. Little tiny gloves & helmets with
holes for their snoots? Micro flack jackets? What are we talking about here?

Karl Johanson

What, never been to a flea circus ?

Tim Worstall
Old 09-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Frank Logullo

"Karl Johanson" wrote in message
news
I've never seen any type of insect wear any type of clothing, let alone a
mosquito wearing protective clothing. Little tiny gloves & helmets with
holes for their snoots? Micro flack jackets? What are we talking about
here?

Get serious! Personally I wrap mayself completely in aluminum foil when
deer hunting in warm weather.
That way, no bugs can bite me and the deer cannot hear my thoughts
Frank

Old 12-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Nils Dalen

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message . ..
"Karl Johanson" wrote in message
news
I've never seen any type of insect wear any type of clothing, let alone a
mosquito wearing protective clothing. Little tiny gloves & helmets with
holes for their snoots? Micro flack jackets? What are we talking about

here?

Get serious! Personally I wrap mayself completely in aluminum foil when
deer hunting in warm weather.
That way, no bugs can bite me and the deer cannot hear my thoughts
Frank

And, when the bears bite, the aluminum foil really hurts their fillings...

Nils