Old 03-08-2003, 05:03 AM
wtw

Default wildflower ID

On the Niagara Escarpment in Ontario, Canada, I've found a flower I
can't ID. It is in some ways reminiscent of a lady's slipper. The
leaves are the same size and shape, alternate with numerous creases
and climbing up the round hairy stem for about eight inches. Above
that is a spike of 12 or 16 small drooping, greenish-white flowers.
Subtly beautiful. Each bloom itself has the lady's slipper shape --
with a pouch bottom that is blackish-purple inside, and a smaller
overhanging part, with subtle coloured markings, a little green, a
little bit of brown. This part of the bloom is less than an inch long.
There are also two other spade-shaped petals that are white with a
pale green creases and are kind of peering over the shoulders of the
lady-slipper part. The flower looks quite delicate but is, in fact,
kind of waxy and somewhat stiff. Beneath the bottom pouch is a dark
green seedy-looking bulge. Surrounding the flower, there are three
waxy spade-shaped sepals that look very much like the white petals,
only a dark green colour, and that together with the two white petals
provide a kind of cowl around the lady's slipper type bloom. Beneath
the sepals, a three-sided, darker green, creased sac connects to the
stem.

It seems an extraordinarily complex flower. It is growing in a rocky
knoll (dolomite and limestone), in leaf litter collected in a crevice.
It was a shady location with wild raspberries, wild gooseberries and
white birch growing nearby. The whole region is known for its wild
orchids, and I?m wondering if this might be one.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Iris Cohen

I've found a flower I can't ID. It is in some ways reminiscent of a lady's
slipper.
The whole region is known for its wild orchids, and I?m wondering if this
might be one.

I don't know what is available online, but there are a number of monographs &
field guides to orchids of Northeastern North America. Look in your library.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 03-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Jean Luc Pasquier

"Iris Cohen" a écrit dans le message de
I've found a flower I can't ID. It is in some ways reminiscent of a

lady's
slipper.
The whole region is known for its wild orchids, and I?m wondering if

this
might be one.

I don't know what is available online, but there are a number of

monographs &
field guides to orchids of Northeastern North America. Look in your

library.

Clearly, it is an orchid, I am not sufficiently familiar with american
species; if it was in Europe, I would suggest Epipactis.
JLP

Old 03-08-2003, 07:03 PM
mel turner

In article ,
[wtw] wrote...

[...]

No doubt it's an orchid, as of course are lady's slippers
[genus Cypripedium].

A quick search finds:

http://www.ojibway.ca/orchids.htm
http://www.ontariowildflower.com/plant_list.htm
http://www.ontariowildflower.com/pin...m#alaskaorchid
http://www.ontariowildflower.com/dec...tm#helleborine
http://www.ontariowildflower.com/lak...m#orchidragged
http://www.ontariowildflower.com/lak...m#orchidpurple
http://www.ontariowildflower.com/eab...tm#greenorchid

From your description, the "Epipactus [sic] helleborine" listed
above may come closest.

more images of Epipactis and other orchids:
http://www.osrbg.ca/files/EPI_HEL.HTM
http://pharm1.pharmazie.uni-greifswa...y/gal-orch.htm
[with several further links to E. helleborine images]
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/imaxxorc.htm
http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st..._158_small.jpg

The search also found:

http://www.nativeplants.on.ca/links/index.htm

http://www.osrbg.ca/orchid_native.html
which lists many more species of Canadian native orchids,
with links to many illustrated species descriptions:

http://www.osrbg.ca/files/PIP_UNA.HTM
http://www.osrbg.ca/files/PLA_ORB.HTM

http://www.rbg.ca/rare/epo_iver.htm
http://www.orchidwire.com/Wild/1/NORTH_AMERICA.html
http://los.lon.imag.net/lossrce.asp

http://www.newnorth.net/~mruh/webquest.html
"Native Orchids of North America" [too many outdated links?]

Other search hits included this reference:
Orchids of Ontario; R.E. Whiting & P.M. Catling; CanaColl Foundation 1986.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Wildflower ID? cupra United Kingdom 35 04-04-2009 10:09 PM
Planting wildflower seeds animaux Texas 9 03-11-2003 03:02 AM
Spring Plant Sale and Gardening Festival at the Wildflower Center Jason Spangler Texas 0 03-04-2003 05:20 AM
Arizona: wildflower vs weed ID help please Tsu Dho Nimh Gardening 0 28-03-2003 03:08 AM
Wildflower Identification Needed Inyo Gardening 3 29-01-2003 08:01 PM