Old 05-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Frank Bemelman

Default Sunflower, new variety?

Hi, thought it might be interesting that I have
a strange sunflower in by garden.

I planted the seeds a bit late, may-june, and since 2 weeks
week they finally started to develop a flower, which opened
last week.

Nice to see that there are still bees at this time of
year.

I planted 5 seeds, 4 of them developed normal, but the
fifth does not only have a flower on top, but also at
every branch, originating from the pit between the
branch for the leave and the main branch.

How does this score on the scale of rarities?

Also, I intend to harvest the seeds from this particular
'defective' sunflower, how do I do that the best way?

Last question, will I become a millionaire, with this
new variety?

If interested, I can provide some pictures.

--
Thanks,
Frank Bemelman

Old 05-10-2003, 02:22 PM
D. Kauhl

if temperature is above 12 degrees C the bees still go out and are happy
to find some pollen, otherwise the only one comes from blooming
hedera helix which also is last food for wasps
may be the flower is topinambur - helianthus tuberosus - but we should
see your picture - you only have to keep dry the seed
to become a millionnaire you have to derive the gene sequence and
apply for a patent, nothing for average people like us

Old 05-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Not at all rare or even new.

You described the branching pattern that is closer to the original wild type
Helianthus annuus L.

You can find millions upon millions of wild type Helianthus annuus L.
flowering in fields across the US this time of year.

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com...%20Pages/helia
nthus%20annuus.htm

http://www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/pr/gart.../BHelianthusan
nuusl1.jpg

Old 05-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Frank Bemelman

"Cereoid-UR12-" schreef in bericht
m...
Not at all rare or even new.

You described the branching pattern that is closer to the original wild

type
Helianthus annuus L.

You can find millions upon millions of wild type Helianthus annuus L.
flowering in fields across the US this time of year.

http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com...%20Pages/helia
nthus%20annuus.htm

http://www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/pr/gart.../BHelianthusan
nuusl1.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, seems that my sunflower is not so special
after all There goes my chance on becoming a millionaire!

Old 05-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Frank Bemelman

"D. Kauhl" schreef in bericht
if temperature is above 12 degrees C the bees still go out and are happy
to find some pollen, otherwise the only one comes from blooming
hedera helix which also is last food for wasps
may be the flower is topinambur - helianthus tuberosus - but we should
see your picture - you only have to keep dry the seed
to become a millionnaire you have to derive the gene sequence and
apply for a patent, nothing for average people like us

Seems that it's not so special. Alas. Here are the
pictures, compressed them a bit more but still rather
large to download:

www.euronet.nl/~fbemel/sunflower1.jpg 436KB, showing the flower + bee
www.euronet.nl/~fbemel/sunflower2.jpg 286KB, showing the branch