Old 26-09-2007, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wanted: small sunflower variety that won't fall over

I grew sunflowers this year, and as usual, they fell over.

I think it must have something to do with breeding. Over the ages, people
bred them to have larger and larger flowers, which in turn makes them more
likely to fall over.

However, I recall having to pull some of these things out of my
Grandfather's field as weeds when I was a teenager. He grew them one year,
and they volunteered the next year in his soybeans.

The ones I would like get only about 3 to 4 feet tall, and have a single
small head about 5" wide.

Anybody know where to get seeds of something like this? Thanks!

Old 27-09-2007, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

The ones I would like get only about 3 to 4 feet tall, and have a single
small head about 5" wide.

There are a bunch of sunflower varieties at:

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merc...ory_Code=SFLOW

Some of them approximate your description (to one extent or another),
others quite clearly say they are likely to need staking. Haven't
successfully grown sunflowers myself, though.
Old 27-09-2007, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
The ones I would like get only about 3 to 4 feet tall, and have a
single
small head about 5" wide.

There are a bunch of sunflower varieties at:

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merc...ory_Code=SFLOW

Some of them approximate your description (to one extent or another),
others quite clearly say they are likely to need staking. Haven't
successfully grown sunflowers myself, though.

Staking indeed. Buy a stake, use it for 10 years or so. What a concept!

Old 27-09-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 26, 4:05 pm, "OhioGuy" wrote:
I grew sunflowers this year, and as usual, they fell over.

I think it must have something to do with breeding. Over the ages, people
bred them to have larger and larger flowers, which in turn makes them more
likely to fall over.

However, I recall having to pull some of these things out of my
Grandfather's field as weeds when I was a teenager. He grew them one year,
and they volunteered the next year in his soybeans.

The ones I would like get only about 3 to 4 feet tall, and have a single
small head about 5" wide.

Anybody know where to get seeds of something like this? Thanks!

Already posted- Teddy Bear variety
or grow the taller ones in groups of 3 like the legs of a stool and
tie them together. Common causes of lodgeing are planting too close
and stem borers.

Old 29-09-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"MLW" wrote:

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
I grew sunflowers this year, and as usual, they fell over.

I like these almost for the soft texture of the skin. Grow 3 or 4 foot
around here.

here is a URL to give you an image.

Bill

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...arch&search=me