Old 03-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Projects that Work (Walter, etc.)

Some of the lurkers following this discussion, having seen the example of the
naive lady who got herself killed, may wonder if there are any rehabilitation
projects that do work. They are not horticulture related, but there are two
projects in New York State that I am more familiar with.
As you may know, New York has a number of race tracks, which are big business.
One of the large state correctional facilities has a racehorse farm. Retired
racehorses are kept there. Inmates are trained in various aspects of
horseracing and equine care. When they complete their sentences, they are
helped to find employment at a racetrack. The program has been in existence for
many years. If it weren't successful and cost-effective it would have been
scrapped long ago.
The other program is local, so I know more about it. The Catholic Church has a
program in a nearby motel-restaurant-banquet hall, which trains ex-offenders
who have been in prison mainly for drug or alcohol related crimes. The men have
jobs in the motel or food service, and they are supervised by both
professionals and assistants who have graduated from the program. When they
complete the program, the workers obtain jobs in the hospitality industry.
There is a high rate of success. My husband attends the GE retirees' luncheon
there every month. He reports that the food and service are excellent, and
morale among the workers seems very positive.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Earth Pond Questions - Early Spring Projects NyQuillama Ponds 19 25-02-2004 08:14 PM
Projects that Work (Walter, etc.) Iris Cohen Plant Science 0 03-12-2003 03:53 PM
Projects that Work (Walter, etc.) Iris Cohen Plant Science 0 03-12-2003 03:49 PM
Projects that Work (Walter, etc.) Iris Cohen Plant Science 0 03-12-2003 03:48 PM