Old 13-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default why they are coiled?

A coil has far less outer surface area than does a line. The coil is more
practical than stable.

Are you trying to say a spiral is the same as a coil?

Check out the Fibonacci series.

You ask the person who told you there are more right handed coils than left
why they said that.

The orbits of the planets are elliptical not coiled. The various star groups
are in many different forms.

Clouds certainly are not coiled.

Coiled rocks? Sez who?

R.bioson wrote in message
om...
I have seen many plants and other livingthings having their coiled
body.
many trees can have a right hand strand or a left hand strand form,
just as they are forced to be that, but what caused them like that?
I also find that in our universe there are so mang coiled forms, the
typhoon, the clouds, the rocks, the stars groups and so on.
Is it to say that the coiled form is mor stable than other forms?
even I have been told that there are many right hand coiled forms
than
the left handed forms.
but why?

Old 13-12-2003, 01:02 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Keith Michaels schreef
A snail shell forms an exponential spiral because the direction of
new growth is proportional to all the growth that has come before.
If the growth direction is offset on the Z axis then it forms a helix,
or coil. Starting the helix in one direction (left or right) is
reinforced by subsequent growth. There is probably a predisposition
to handedness based on unit shape, and a randomizing component like
environment (temperature etc.) or a mutation that gets things going
in one direction or the other.

+ + +
Reminds me of an experiment they did to estimate the proportion of left-
versus right-handed shells in sea snail shells. This involved a lot of
manufactured plastic snail shells (sponsored by Shell) which were dumped in
the sea. At various points along the coast they counted left and
right-handed shells. It proved that watercurrents performed an advance sort
and deposited different shells at different points along the coast. You
could "prove" any proportion of left- versus right-handed shells by
selecting a collecting spot.
PvR

Old 13-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Phred

In article ,
"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
[...]

The same sorting by currents has allegedly been demonstrated for
rubber thongs lost overboard.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 13-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Phred

In article ,
(Keith Michaels) wrote:
In article ,
(R.bioson) writes:
| I have seen many plants and other livingthings having their coiled
| body.
| many trees can have a right hand strand or a left hand strand form,
| just as they are forced to be that, but what caused them like that?
| I also find that in our universe there are so mang coiled forms, the
| typhoon, the clouds, the rocks, the stars groups and so on.
| Is it to say that the coiled form is mor stable than other forms?
| even I have been told that there are many right hand coiled forms
| than the left handed forms.
| but why?

A snail shell forms an exponential spiral because the direction of
new growth is proportional to all the growth that has come before.
If the growth direction is offset on the Z axis then it forms a helix,
or coil. Starting the helix in one direction (left or right) is
reinforced by subsequent growth. There is probably a predisposition
to handedness based on unit shape, and a randomizing component like
environment (temperature etc.) or a mutation that gets things going
in one direction or the other.

ISTR from lectures some decades ago that many organic molecules can
occur in two forms: "left handed" and "right handed" (the terms laevo
and dextro seem to ring a bell). Furthermore, the "natural" forms
(i.e. compounds created _in vivo_ rather than _in vitro_) all tend to
be of the same "rotation" [the distinction was originally made in
terms of the direction or "rotation" of refraction of light by the
two forms of compound, again IIRC].

I forget which was the common "natural" form (though I would vote for
"laevo" if forced to choose at this late stage) but it occurs to me
that such a fundamental feature of the building blocks of nature may
well result in a preponderance of of coils and spirals in the same
direction within species, if not more generally.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 13-12-2003, 04:36 PM
R.bioson

you say that there is far practical than stable the form is,Why?
I have checked the snails and seashells that they are the same as that were said
as the person told me. there are more right-handed seashells than the left-handed
ones in mang species, and I have also found out that the seashells fossils found
to be left-handed, of cause this is got from the very species, but what it told us?
I think that the envriment is the same as before, but what caused the form pattner
of the seashells to change, I can find out nothing according to this. How to explain
this phonomenon?
the star groups usually to be as a spiral form as ours own galaxy, do not you know.

also thanks a lot!

Old 13-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Don't be limited by what you know. Learn more and investigate the
exceptions. Beware of what other people tell you. Do your own research.

What does any of this have to do with botany?

What is the point you are trying to make?

om...