Old 13-12-2003, 11:33 PM
R.bioson

Default why they are coiled?

I have seen many plants and other livingthings having their coiled
body.
many trees can have a right hand strand or a left hand strand form,
just as they are forced to be that, but what caused them like that?
I also find that in our universe there are so mang coiled forms, the
typhoon, the clouds, the rocks, the stars groups and so on.
Is it to say that the coiled form is mor stable than other forms?
even I have been told that there are many right hand coiled forms
than
the left handed forms.
but why?
Old 14-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Gaiawar

"Peter Jason" wrote in message ...
Medieval figurines have a "S" shape that is quite attractive.

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
om...
Don't be limited by what you know. Learn more and investigate the
exceptions. Beware of what other people tell you. Do your own research.

What does any of this have to do with botany?

What is the point you are trying to make?

R.bioson wrote in message
om...
you say that there is far practical than stable the form is,Why?
I have checked the snails and seashells that they are the same as that

were said
as the person told me. there are more right-handed seashells than the

left-handed
ones in mang species, and I have also found out that the seashells

fossils
found
to be left-handed, of cause this is got from the very species, but what

it
told us?
I think that the envriment is the same as before, but what caused the

form
pattner
of the seashells to change, I can find out nothing according to this.

How
to explain
this phonomenon?
the star groups usually to be as a spiral form as ours own galaxy, do

not
you know.

also thanks a lot!

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message

om...
A coil has far less outer surface area than does a line. The coil is

more
practical than stable.

Are you trying to say a spiral is the same as a coil?

Check out the Fibonacci series.

You ask the person who told you there are more right handed coils than

left
why they said that.

The orbits of the planets are elliptical not coiled. The various star

groups
are in many different forms.

Clouds certainly are not coiled.

Coiled rocks? Sez who?

R.bioson wrote in message
om...
I have seen many plants and other livingthings having their coiled
body.
many trees can have a right hand strand or a left hand strand form,
just as they are forced to be that, but what caused them like that?
I also find that in our universe there are so mang coiled forms, the
typhoon, the clouds, the rocks, the stars groups and so on.
Is it to say that the coiled form is mor stable than other forms?
even I have been told that there are many right hand coiled

forms
than
the left handed forms.
but why?

Previously in this thread a person posited that handedness of a plant
is not relevant to the purpose of this ng. The relevance is obvious to
the serious student. Here in North Texas, for example, the Campsis
radicans proper coils its tendrils to the right, and it does the same
in Missouri, but the rarer and yet undocumented close cousin that is
common in Dallas County coils its tendrils to the left. Wih a single
experiment I eliminated the tendrils and the vining nature of the
common Campsis radicans. When opportunity allows I will publish a
comparison of the three. The question in this thread concerning
handedness is one of a pack of questions that set me in 1989 upon a
journey of questioning and exploring the energies of nature after I
observed and recorded a rather anomalous event that happened
immediately after a record 100 year flood swept through Dallas.

I am a lead industrial electrician by trade and a naturalist by
predilection and intent since childhood; such a challenge could not be
brushed off or ignored. So I began a journey of research and discovery
that lasted six years. I learned from that the value of the
controlling numbers in nature, and I learned of the dangers inherent
in our careless manipulations of those forces that are reflected in
those numbers.

From what I have observed I think that handedness is usually an
incidental byproduct of standard metabolic processes, and it is
subject to reversal for necessary purposes that elude our cursory
observations. Polar manipulation of heterodyne fields which carry
specified elemental atoms have direct and reproducible effects upon
the growth and structure of plants. I do not have the expensive
equipment necessary to exactly measure these effects, but there are
some government funded studies in this field, and those people have
much to offer that greatly broadens our understanding of the
mathematical beauty of Helianthus and the bromeliads, to name a
couple.

There are a number of ways to apply the Fibonacci sequence to nature,
but we too often stop there and do not look at how it squares the
circle of life and vice-versa. The number of compaction within itself:
1 divided by .618033988--- = 1.61803988----, directs the field about
each atom, mass, planet, solar system and galaxy. Handedness might be
determinded in a fundamental sense by Periodic Law.

The question is challenging and deserving of serious investigation.
Nautilus and Helianthus connived to present us vain humans with a
challenge of cosmic proportions.

-Gaiawar
Old 14-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Iris Cohen

There is something missing from your research and speculation about handedness
in nature. Is there any difference in the proportion of left-handed vs.
right-handed snails, tendrils, etc. between the Northern & Southern
Hemispheres, due to the Coriolus effect?

Medieval figurines have an "S" shape that is quite attractive.

That is called a Hogarth curve, & is widely used in modern design.

Check out the Fibonacci series.

What is most interesting is the fact that the Fibonacci series, besides
occurring widely in nature, happens to be very pleasing to the human eye. To
get the Fibonacci proportions, you take the first two numbers, add them
together, and then add the previous number, like this: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8,13, 21,
34, etc. We use these proportions in bonsai all the time. For example, a tree
21 inches tall should be in a pot 13 inches long.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 14-12-2003, 07:03 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
We use these proportions in bonsai all the time. For example, a tree

21 inches tall should be in a pot 13 inches long.

+ + +
And if the tree should grow half an inch?
Oh right, you cut it down to size ...
Poor bonsai!
PvR

Old 15-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Yes, bonsai is indeed torturing plants according to strict oriental
tradition.

We may never find Rinkytinksan spending his time in the apiary stunting
trees!!!

Iris Cohen schreef

Old 15-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Oh Gawkward, you are nothing if not the fluffboy of the universe!!!

Wacko Jacko has nothing on you. Some day the Periodic Law will catch up with
you!!!

Do you use you right hand or left hand when you abuse the Fibonacci series?

Are you going to publish your findings in the Weekly World News or post it
on WebTV?

m...

R.bioson wrote in message
[...]

R.bioson wrote in message
om...
[...]

From what I have observed I think that handedness is usually an

Old 16-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Gaiawar

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message om...
Oh Gawkward, you are nothing if not the fluffboy of the universe!!!

Wacko Jacko has nothing on you. Some day the Periodic Law will catch up with
you!!!

Do you use you right hand or left hand when you abuse the Fibonacci series?

Are you going to publish your findings in the Weekly World News or post it
on WebTV?

m...

R.bioson wrote in message
[...]

R.bioson wrote in message
om...
[...]

From what I have observed I think that handedness is usually an
[...]

Children, Cereoid, top post.
Tell us, child, what Hermes meant when he admonished us to eschew the
angles and follow the curves. Go to your room immediately and do not
show your face among adults until you can tell us how we can use
tertiary harmonics to manipulate genomes. Perhaps Uncle Al can help
you crib as is your predilection.

Recall that I said that I bring WebTV here for fun.

-Gaiawar
Old 16-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Keith Michaels

In article ,
(Phred) writes:
| In article ,
| "P van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
| Keith Michaels schreef
| A snail shell forms an exponential spiral because the direction of
| new growth is proportional to all the growth that has come before.
| If the growth direction is offset on the Z axis then it forms a helix,
| or coil. Starting the helix in one direction (left or right) is
| reinforced by subsequent growth. There is probably a predisposition
| to handedness based on unit shape, and a randomizing component like
| environment (temperature etc.) or a mutation that gets things going
| in one direction or the other.
|
| + + +
| Reminds me of an experiment they did to estimate the proportion of left-
| versus right-handed shells in sea snail shells. This involved a lot of
| manufactured plastic snail shells (sponsored by Shell) which were dumped in
| the sea. At various points along the coast they counted left and
| right-handed shells. It proved that watercurrents performed an advance sort
| and deposited different shells at different points along the coast. You
| could "prove" any proportion of left- versus right-handed shells by
| selecting a collecting spot.

Now wait a minute, if I dump a bunch of conical helixes into the ocean
I would expect them to orient with the pointy end into the wavefronts,
the lefties rotating left and the righties rotating right, and the final
distribution being hourglass shaped with each lobe having a preponderance
of one type or the other. But this has nothing to do with reality; if
you start with a random distribution over a large area the tendency of
one individual to move in one direction is compensated by other
individuals which backfill from nearby areas, assuming new individuals
of both orientations are being born randomly in all areas.

This of course has nothing to do with botany, unless you want to talk
about pea vines and strangler figs.
Old 16-12-2003, 11:12 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Keith Michaels schreef
But this has nothing to do with reality; if
you start with a random distribution over a large area the tendency of
one individual to move in one direction is compensated by other
individuals which backfill from nearby areas, assuming new individuals
of both orientations are being born randomly in all areas.

+ + +
It seems to me that assuming random distribution is assuming that the entire
world is flooded by a sea at a uniform depth, with water at a uniform (or at
least comparable) temperature, etc. Would certainly be the end of botany as
we know it!
PvR

Old 25-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Gaiawar

(R.bioson) wrote in message . com...
[...]

R.bioson wrote in message
om...
I have seen many plants and other livingthings having their coiled
body.
many trees can have a right hand strand or a left hand strand form,
just as they are forced to be that, but what caused them like that?
I also find that in our universe there are so mang coiled forms, the
typhoon, the clouds, the rocks, the stars groups and so on.
Is it to say that the coiled form is mor stable than other forms?
even I have been told that there are many right hand coiled forms
than
the left handed forms.
but why?

Try this exercise on for size: In a graph along a line that represents
both sine wave and time-line, record the natural left-right occurences
that are written in this book called earth that sustains us. Cross
correlations become very interesting.

Gaia's War
Old 25-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Gaiawar

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message ...
Keith Michaels schreef
But this has nothing to do with reality; if
you start with a random distribution over a large area the tendency of
one individual to move in one direction is compensated by other
individuals which backfill from nearby areas, assuming new individuals
of both orientations are being born randomly in all areas.

+ + +
It seems to me that assuming random distribution is assuming that the entire
world is flooded by a sea at a uniform depth, with water at a uniform (or at
least comparable) temperature, etc. Would certainly be the end of botany as
we know it!
PvR

Yep, PvR, good point. Imagine the earth as a beach ball hanging in a
busy paint shop for a number of years. The accumulated paints will
display a fruitcake pattern of varying areas randomly distributed from
nearly complete homogeniety to areas of single color dominance. Thus
it is with flora and fauna and the stones beneath. It is not far
fetched to say that upon this globe of ever shifting colors there have
been no occurences of simultaneity of required MatterXEnergy
circumstances for the sudden transformation of advanced lifeforms into
new forms. This is a challenging prospect, and only the Architect
knows these answers. Golden Apple 23 resides within the Matrix, and
science history buffs read the formulae.

-Gaia's War