Old 16-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Darren Garrison

Default Need Tree ID

This tree is growing on the fringes of my property, and I would like to know what it is. These
photos were taken last July, when I found it. It was around 10ish feet tall at the time. The
largest leaves are on the order of 10 inches wide, and can have one, two, or three lobes. I'd like
to, if possble, move it to a better spot, where I can see it and where it won't be choked to death
by vines (I just took a look at it today and removed some vines that had cut deep grooves into the
trunk). I am in South Carolina, but I have no idea if it is a native plant or not.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/tree.html

Old 16-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Monique Reed

This looks very much like Morus alba (white mulberry) or Morus rubra
(red mulberry). Either may have lobed or unlobed leaves. M. rubra has
leaves mostly softly hairy underneath, while M. alba is essentially
bald. (If it's really, really, really hairy, check against
Broussonettia, paper mulbery.) M. alba is introduced and naturalized
in the U.S.; M. rubra is listed as native. M. alba, at least, can get
to be a nice large shade tree. Both species have separate male and
female plants. Male plants will produce pendulous "caterpillars"
(catkins) of pollen-producing flowers; female plants may produce
edible fruit if there's a pollinating plant near enough. On the off
chance your plant is female red mulberry, don't plant it near your car
park or clothesline--birds like to feast on the fruit and the area
under the nearest roost is often rather permanently purple
polka-dotted.

Monique Reed
Texas A&M

Old 17-02-2004, 12:29 PM
mel turner

In article ,
[Darren Garrison] wrote...

This tree is growing on the fringes of my property, and I would like to know what it is. These
photos were taken last July, when I found it. It was around 10ish feet tall at the time. The
largest leaves are on the order of 10 inches wide, and can have one, two, or three lobes. I'd like
to, if possble, move it to a better spot, where I can see it and where it won't be choked to death
by vines (I just took a look at it today and removed some vines that had cut deep grooves into the
trunk). I am in South Carolina, but I have no idea if it is a native plant or not.

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/tree.html

I'm reasonably sure that's the native red mulberry, _Morus rubra_.
Leaf lobing is very variable.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b700/b700_32.html
http://www.iastate.edu/~bot356/speci.../MoruRubr.html
http://www.museum.state.il.us/muslin...s/M-rubra.html
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/1...5/morurubr.htm
http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academi...orus_rubra.htm
http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academi...us_rubra_3.jpg
http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academi...bra_fruits.jpg
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Morusru.htm
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...s/MorusRu3.htm

The introduced white mulberry _Morus alba_ has less rough leaves,
often smaller, a bit thicker, and shinier, and with less long-pointy
tips than those in your photo. They're also variously lobed or unlobed.

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/moal.html
http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academi...morus_alba.htm
http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academi...lba_lvs_fr.jpg

Another introduced member of the mulberry family often with similarly
lobed leaves to yours is the paper mulberry, Broussonetia papyrifera.
Its leaves are often opposite, and the fruits [only on female plants]
are quite different from the typical mulberries of the Morus species.

http://www.boga.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/h...era_Foto4.html
http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources...html/brpa4.jpg
http://www.csc.pku.edu.cn/botany/dis...huP7300135.jpg
http://www.shop.sunshine-seeds.de/im...ig/bro_pap.jpg

cheers

Old 17-02-2004, 12:40 PM
mel turner

In article ,
[Darren Garrison] wrote...

Old 18-02-2004, 12:21 AM
MMMavocado

Sassafrass leaves are smooth and shiny, never fuzzy. Your tree is surely a
mulberry of some sort.
Old 18-02-2004, 04:40 AM
Nick Harby

yes, it's a mulberry tree. It's growing at the fringes of your property because your lawn mower
doesn't get there. If you stop mowing the property you'll find mulberry trees are popping up
everywhere. So why bother moving that mulberry tree. Vines are cool too. I doubt that they'll
completely kill the tree.