Old 28-03-2004, 09:03 AM
Edgar Davies

Default plants crossing Pacific

For some time botanists have thought that the Sweet Potato in the
Pacific spread from South America in prehistoric times.

Are there any suspected cases of a reverse migration - that is plants
crossing from the old world, over the Pacific, to South America in
prehistoric times?
Old 28-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Edgar Davies
writes
For some time botanists have thought that the Sweet Potato in the
Pacific spread from South America in prehistoric times.

Are there any suspected cases of a reverse migration - that is plants
crossing from the old world, over the Pacific, to South America in
prehistoric times?

The Malva/Lavatera group is predominantly Mediterranean, extending to
Macaronesia, South Asia, Central Asia and northern Europe. There are two
disjunct elements - one species (Lavatera plebeia aka Malva australiana)
in Australia and a few species on islands off the Pacific coast of
California and Baja California. There are closely related to each other,
and to the widespread Eurasian Malva sylvestris. This may represent a
case of transpacific colonisation.

Pavonia hastata is present in South America and Australia (but is only
doubtfully native in Australia).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 30-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Edgar Davies

I was asking about 'recent' natural dispersal, since I didn't think
humans transported plants from the western Pacific to the New World
until European explorers came on the scene. Am I right on this? What's
the current story?

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:43:10 +0000 (UTC),
(mel turner) wrote:

In article ,

wrote...

For some time botanists have thought that the Sweet Potato in the
Pacific spread from South America in prehistoric times.

Are there any suspected cases of a reverse migration - that is plants
crossing from the old world, over the Pacific, to South America in
prehistoric times?

Do you mean just plants transported by humans, or do you include
natural long-distance dispersal? Perhaps try coconuts, Cocos nucifera
as a likely [but not uncontroversial] example.

cheers

Old 30-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Cereus-validus

Haven't you done any research on this topic on your own?

Do a Google search on the pacific flora, Hawaiian plants and the Polynesians
and you will quickly find out otherwise.

"Edgar Davies" wrote in message
I was asking about 'recent' natural dispersal, since I didn't think
humans transported plants from the western Pacific to the New World
until European explorers came on the scene. Am I right on this? What's
the current story?

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:43:10 +0000 (UTC),
(mel turner) wrote:

In article ,

wrote...

Old 30-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Cereus-validus

Haven't you done any research on this topic on your own?

Do a Google search on the pacific flora, Hawaiian plants and the Polynesians
and you will quickly find out otherwise.

"Edgar Davies" wrote in message
I was asking about 'recent' natural dispersal, since I didn't think
humans transported plants from the western Pacific to the New World
until European explorers came on the scene. Am I right on this? What's
the current story?

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:43:10 +0000 (UTC),
(mel turner) wrote:

In article ,

wrote...

Old 30-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Edgar Davies

Yes, of course I know about the Polynesians and plant dispersal.

But so what? To me the New World is the Americas.

Do a Google search on define:New World

Or are you suggesting that there is evidence that the Polynesians kept
going and reached the Americas?

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:13:53 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

Haven't you done any research on this topic on your own?

Do a Google search on the pacific flora, Hawaiian plants and the Polynesians
and you will quickly find out otherwise.

"Edgar Davies" wrote in message
.. .
I was asking about 'recent' natural dispersal, since I didn't think
humans transported plants from the western Pacific to the New World
until European explorers came on the scene. Am I right on this? What's
the current story?

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:43:10 +0000 (UTC),
(mel turner) wrote:

In article ,

wrote...

Old 30-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Edgar Davies

wrote:

Haven't you done any research on this topic on your own?

Do a Google search on the pacific flora, Hawaiian plants and the Polynesians
and you will quickly find out otherwise.

"Edgar Davies" wrote in message
.. .
I was asking about 'recent' natural dispersal, since I didn't think
humans transported plants from the western Pacific to the New World
until European explorers came on the scene. Am I right on this? What's
the current story?

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:43:10 +0000 (UTC),
(mel turner) wrote:

In article ,

wrote...

Old 30-03-2004, 11:37 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Edgar Davies schreef
But so what? To me the New World is the Americas.

Or are you suggesting that there is evidence that the Polynesians kept
going and reached the Americas?

+ + +
That was (and probably is) the controversial question
DAGS on Thor Heyerdahl
PvR

Old 30-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Edgar Davies

Wrong way.

Heyerdahl's proposal was a migration of Polynesians from the Americas
west into the Pacific.

Edgar Davies schreef

Old 30-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Edgar Davies

Wrong way.

Heyerdahl's proposal was a migration of Polynesians from the Americas
west into the Pacific.

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:49:34 +0200, "P van Rijckevorsel"

Edgar Davies schreef

Old 30-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Edgar Davies

wrote:

Haven't you done any research on this topic on your own?

Do a Google search on the pacific flora, Hawaiian plants and the Polynesians
and you will quickly find out otherwise.

"Edgar Davies" wrote in message
.. .
I was asking about 'recent' natural dispersal, since I didn't think
humans transported plants from the western Pacific to the New World
until European explorers came on the scene. Am I right on this? What's
the current story?

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:43:10 +0000 (UTC),
(mel turner) wrote:

In article ,

wrote...