Old 06-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Mida

Default Osteospermum vs Dimorphotheca

Hi everybody,

I found many discordant references on the web (and even on books) about
Osteospermum and Dimorphotheca ?

What is the difference ?
What is the key that make us distinguish between the two genus ?

Mida
(Italy)

Old 06-04-2004, 09:37 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Mida schreef
I found many discordant references on the web (and even on books) about

Osteospermum and Dimorphotheca ?

+ + +
According to Mabberley (1997, 2002) they are both current genera, but many
cultivated plants of Osteospermum are sold as "Dimorphotheca"
PvR

Old 07-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Cereus-validus

Just as Eustoma grandiflora is incorrectly sold as "Lisianthus" in the
horticultural trade even though that species was specifically excluded from
that genus in the most recent revision.

Mida schreef

Old 13-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Scott Ranger

"Mida" wrote in message
news
I found many discordant references on the web (and even on books) about
Osteospermum and Dimorphotheca ?

What is the difference ?
What is the key that make us distinguish between the two genus ?

Mida
(Italy)

From the PLANTS national database for US plants http://plants.usda.gov/

CATR18 Castalis tragus (Ait.) Norl.
DIAU3
Dimorphotheca aurantiaca DC., non Horton

DIPL4 Dimorphotheca pluvialis (L.) Moench
DIAN9
Dimorphotheca annua Less.

DISI4 Dimorphotheca sinuata DC.

OSEC Osteospermum ecklonis (DC.) Norl.
DIEC2
Dimorphotheca ecklonis DC.

So we have three genera to deal with in this question! Beyond this I can't
help.

Scott