Old 15-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Mark Sansom

Default Please help idnetify this plant

Hi,

I have placed a picture on my web site, showing a plant I am unable to
identify. Please see http://www.astrostitch.co.uk/plant.htm.

The plant was situated amongst Common Cleavers and Brambles by the edge of a
nature trail (disused rail track) in Nottinghamshire, England. The picture
was taken on 10th April 2004.

I have looked in 4 different wild flower books and been unable to identify
the plant, the closest being something in the Crucifers (or Brassicae). I
would be grateful if someone could assist me!!

Many thanks,
Mark.

Old 16-04-2004, 12:04 AM
mel turner

In article ,
[Mark Sansom] wrote...

Hi,

I have placed a picture on my web site, showing a plant I am unable to
identify. Please see
http://www.astrostitch.co.uk/plant.htm.

The plant was situated amongst Common Cleavers and Brambles by the edge of a
nature trail (disused rail track) in Nottinghamshire, England. The picture
was taken on 10th April 2004.

I have looked in 4 different wild flower books and been unable to identify
the plant, the closest being something in the Crucifers (or Brassicae). I
would be grateful if someone could assist me!!

Looks very much like the genus _Lunaria_ to me.

They later have interesting flat fruits.

http://www.4reference.net/encycloped...a/Lunaria.html
http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st...2000/01555.jpg
http://www.botany.utoronto.ca/course...D1lunaria.html
http://botany.cs.tamu.edu/FLORA/schoepke/lun_re_2.jpg
http://www.gut-im-bild.at/pages/Lunaria-annua.htm
http://www.plantimag.de/dat/0205078.html
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/imaxxbra.htm

You're right, it is a member of the Brassicaceae.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Old 16-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Howard Clase

In article ,
mel turner wrote:
[...]

Yes! I agree, good old "Honesty" - known in N. America as "The silver dollar
plant" and to botanists as Lunaria annua L. It's a garden escape having
been introduced from SE Europe according to Grey-Wilson in "The Illustrated
Flora of Britain & N. Europe". It escapes all over our garden here in
Newfoundland too, just as well it's good looking.

Howard Clase
Old 16-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Mark Sansom

All,

Many thanks for your help. I was looking in wild flower books - no wonder I
couldn't find it!

Regards,
Mark.

Old 18-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Leon Fisk

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:36:26 +0000 (UTC),
(Howard Clase) wrote:

In article ,
mel turner wrote:
[...]

So how can you tell it is Lunaria annua and not Hesperis
matronalis (Dame's Rocket, Sweet Rocket). I always have to
wait for the seed pods to start forming to determine which
of the two it is. Curious...

If Mark is still following along, it (Lunaria annua) is in
several of my "Wildflower" books. Maybe you just don't have
enough books yet ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 18-04-2004, 10:07 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Please see http://www.astrostitch.co.uk/plant.htm.

Leon Fisk schreef
So how can you tell it is Lunaria annua and not Hesperis
matronalis (Dame's Rocket, Sweet Rocket). I always have to
wait for the seed pods to start forming to determine which
of the two it is. Curious...

+ + +
Well, I suppose the best clue would be leaf shape: shape here is pretty
typical for Lunaria annua, and rather unlike Hesperis
cf http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/T51058.HTM
PvR

Old 20-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Leon Fisk

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:15:00 +0200, "P van Rijckevorsel"
wrote:

Please see http://www.astrostitch.co.uk/plant.htm.

Leon Fisk schreef
So how can you tell it is Lunaria annua and not Hesperis
matronalis (Dame's Rocket, Sweet Rocket). I always have to
wait for the seed pods to start forming to determine which
of the two it is. Curious...

+ + +
Well, I suppose the best clue would be leaf shape: shape here is pretty
typical for Lunaria annua, and rather unlike Hesperis
cf http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/T51058.HTM

Thanks PvR,

The reference site you gave shows a significant difference
between the leaves. I'll have to go study my books again. I
remember struggling with this id in the past. The drawings
and descriptions I used weren't the best in distinguishing
between the leaves. This site makes it look obvious. I have
both varieties growing in my area (but not side-by-side).
I'll take a better look later this spring when they're
flowering.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b