Old 29-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default report on concrete-block Farming

It is the end of May and I need to make a report on the success or
failures of concreteblock farming. I am about to receive my first
strawberries and it appears that the strawberries like the concreteblock
holes in which they are confined. Some are shooting out long runners and
I can easily snip them and plant them into a new block hole. But the big
question I have is that I think strawberries like a little shade rather
than be out in the full day sun. So I am thinking that strawberries
prefer a concreteblock hole rather than total open sunlight.

Also another thing about strawberries is that the old patch needs to be
transplanted into concreteblock rows but I have not had the time to do
that and have taken the block to surround the patch to help me mow
around the strawberries. So block are good for that purpose of
surrounding a patch so it is easy to mow. Block acting as confinement.

I have planted some chives into the block holes and they are doing
excellent whereas my old sites always had the trouble of grasses losing
the chives.

I planted about 200 tomatoes in early Spring in concreteblock rows. The
frost killed 90% of them but the 10% that survived did so because of the
block protection, otherwise all of them would have perished.

Recently I have planted the cucumbers and watermelon. Trouble with them
is their spreading into mowing areas and makes mowing horrible. So what
I have done is relegated the woodpile as the cucumber and watermelon
patches. And I have lined the southern side with 2 rows of block with
holes parallel to ground
so that the block suppresses grass and weed growth and the 3 row
contains the cucumbers and watermelon. What I am expecting is when the
plants emerge from the hole they train themselves in the direction of
the 2 rows which abutts the wood pile. If not I train them by hand to
grow into the wood pile. The wood pile is less than 3 feet but is over
100 feet long and about 10 feet wide. I think the concrete block method
for cucumbers and watermelon is very satisfactory because I always know
where the root stock is and can easily water and weed it.

Pinus species. I have some pinenut species I am attempting to grow but
they grow so slow that they are in constant danger of being eaten by
ants, grasshoppers and other pests. So I have kept them in concreteblock
and now some of them are 2 years old and they are doing fine. I worry
about grasshoppers sawing off the stem of these baby pines but it
appears that the hole
in the block repels grasshoppers in that they do not like it and
immediately crawl out of them. I do not like plants inside buildings
because that environment is poorer than outside even with the dangers of
pests. The lack of sunlight and the overwatering and the mildew, mold
and fungus inside poises more danger than outside. So the block is the
only protection these pine have. So far it is the robins hunting for
worms that has disturbed some of my pinetrees in that they are planted
in their peat moss plug or pots and the robins have pulled some out.
Robins can be destructive of new baby plants.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.archimedesplutonium.com
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies