Old 31-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Mystery Solved

My miniature sedge is Carex berggreni Petrie, from New Zealand.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 31-05-2004, 10:07 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
My miniature sedge is Carex berggreni Petrie, from New Zealand.

+ + +
No. There is a listing in IPNI thus, and it probably concerns the same plant
(not a certainty), but it will be named after a Mr Berggren which means that
the correct spelling is Carex berggrenii (double -ii). The spelling
"berggreni" would only be acceptable if Berggren is a mountain, an island or
a lake, or something like that.
PvR

Old 31-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Iris Cohen

it will be named after a Mr Berggren which means that the correct spelling
is Carex berggrenii (double -ii).
That is the way it is spelled in the trade.

The spelling
"berggreni" would only be acceptable if Berggren is a mountain, an island or a
lake, or something like that.

I agree. It may be a typo in IPNI or IK. A Google and atlas search revealed
that there are lots of people named Berggren, but no place by that name.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:06 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

it will be named after a Mr Berggren which means that the correct
spelling is Carex berggrenii (double -ii).

Iris Cohen schreef
That is the way it is spelled in the trade.

The spelling "berggreni" would only be acceptable if Berggren is a

mountain, an island or a lake, or something like that.

I agree. It may be a typo in IPNI or IK. A Google and atlas search

revealed that there are lots of people named Berggren, but no place by that
name.

+ + +
In the IK/IPNI such things usually are not typo's but the original spelling
(as it was published way back then). In those days latinization of personal
names had not yet crystalized: the spelling "berggreni" was what Petrie felt
it should look like. The present ICBN disagrees.
PvR

Old 01-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Iris Cohen

In the IK/IPNI such things usually are not typo's but the original spelling
(as it was published way back then). In those days latinization of personal
names had not yet crystalized: the spelling "berggreni" was what Petrie felt
it should look like. BRBR

As I understand it, in such cases it is permissible to correct the spelling.
Sometimes it takes years of wrangling, like the correction of Paphiopedilum
fairrieanum.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:09 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

In the IK/IPNI such things usually are not typo's but the original
spelling (as it was published way back then). In those days latinization of
personal names had not yet crystalized: the spelling "berggreni" was what
Petrie felt it should look like. BRBR

Iris Cohen schreef
As I understand it, in such cases it is permissible to correct the

spelling. Sometimes it takes years of wrangling, like the correction of
Paphiopedilum fairrieanum.

+ + +
Depends on what you mean. Do you mean:
1) correction by IPNI
2) correction of a termination (e.g. -i to -ii)
3) correction of a wrongly spelled surname (Fairrie)

ad 1) depends on the staff behind IPNI
ad 2) obligatory
ad 3) anybody's guess

Whenever an original spelling has been corrected it is desirable to cite not
only the new improved name but also to mention the old original spelling. In
TROPICOS this is done " ... berteroi as 'berteri' ".

PvR