Old 29-04-2005, 12:01 AM
kathy

Default mystery of exploding toads solved!

Well, this probably isn't a problem that many
of us face but....
if you find exploded toads next to your pond
you can blame the crows.
It seems the toads are puffing up in self defense
and the crows have figured out if you puncture
a puffed up toad you can catch the liver
on the way out.
Tricky birds.
Whole story is
http://ihmp.net/@/xs
or
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nytoadsoffbeat

Old 29-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Reel McKoi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, this probably isn't a problem that many
of us face but....
if you find exploded toads next to your pond
you can blame the crows.
It seems the toads are puffing up in self defense
and the crows have figured out if you puncture
a puffed up toad you can catch the liver
on the way out.
Tricky birds.
Whole story is
http://ihmp.net/@/xs
or
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nytoadsoffbeat

======================================
The toads we have here in TN don't puff up when caught. They will urinate
on you though.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 29-04-2005, 03:53 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The toads we have here in TN don't puff up when caught. They will urinate
on you though. McReel

So you're saying our toads have figured out the crows ploy? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 29-04-2005, 04:51 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy
Well, this probably isn't a problem that many
of us face but....
if you find exploded toads next to your pond
you can blame the crows.
It seems the toads are puffing up in self defense
and the crows have figured out if you puncture
a puffed up toad you can catch the liver
on the way out.
Tricky birds.
Whole story is
http://ihmp.net/@/xs
or
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nytoadsoffbeat
Thanks for the link. I had heard about this and was wondering what would cause something like this.
Old 29-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Reel McKoi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
The toads we have here in TN don't puff up when caught. They will

urinate
on you though. McReel

So you're saying our toads have figured out the crows ploy? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

=========================
I think so! :-)))

I wonder if the crows get WARTS from the toads....
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 29-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Andy Hill

"kathy" wrote:
Well, this probably isn't a problem that many
of us face but....
if you find exploded toads next to your pond
you can blame the crows.
It seems the toads are puffing up in self defense
and the crows have figured out if you puncture
a puffed up toad you can catch the liver
on the way out.

Probably the fava beans next to the toads that gave it away ;-)
Old 29-04-2005, 10:02 PM

In , on 04/28/05
at 07:53 PM, ~ jan JJsPond.us said:

The toads we have here in TN don't puff up when caught. They will urinate
on you though. McReel

So you're saying our toads have figured out the crows ploy? ~ jan

I still don't have any toads.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

Old 02-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Reel McKoi

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
I didn't think I did either. At the head of our harbour, they've had

spring
peepers now for over a week, but we don't have them on the coast, yet.

But
last night when I took the dogs out for a walk I had to pick up a 6" toad
off the road. He seemed a bit cold and sluggish, and the road wasn't a
good spot to spend the night (though I'd almost certainly be the only
person to use it before noon today), so I put him in the ditch.

=====================================
I wonder what's going on with the frogs and toads this year!!?!?!?! We
heard spring peepers one night for a few hours. It sounded like only a few,
not the hundreds and hundreds we'd usually hear for several nights in a row
(in the neighbor's stock pond). Then the same thing in our own ponds - we
hard a few frogs for maybe a week, then nothing. All the other years the
noise level out there was incredible.
Where are the toads? I saw one and as you described, it was "sluggish."
Could there be some frog/toad disease out there, possibly spread from some
imported amphibious pets?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 03-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Derek Broughton

Reel McKoi wrote:

[...]

Not in my case. We've rarely had temperatures in the 50s, here. It's
exactly 50F right now. So when I saw that toad at around midnight it was
getting close to freezing. That's going to make any toad sluggish :-)

I heard three peepers last night. It's a bit depressing to even be able to
cont them, but there'll be more when it's warmed up a bit. The ones at the
head of the harbour are in plentiful voice.
--
derek

Old 03-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Reel McKoi

Reel McKoi wrote:

[...]

$$ This is true. However it was a warm afternoon when I came across the
sluggish toad. It was in a flowerpot on my porch.

I heard three peepers last night. It's a bit depressing to even be able

cont them, but there'll be more when it's warmed up a bit. The ones at

the
head of the harbour are in plentiful voice.

$$ That's good to hear. I can't imagine what's happened to these critters
where I live. Even the plant pools behind the house, usually with a few
frogs each, are quiet. Perhaps when the nights get warmer here more will
show up.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...