Old 03-07-2004, 09:00 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default flaw in Brain

Isn't this the date palm calling the ginkgo dioecious?

Iris Cohen schreef
I love that line. Thanks.

+ + +
Up to a point. It seems to me that dioicy is pretty decent, perhaps even a
little puritanical?

Wouldn't a better line be
"Isn't this the Amorphophallus titanum calling the Aristolochia
grandiflora malodorous?"
PvR

Old 03-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Iris Cohen

Default flaw in metaphor

"Isn't this the Amorphophallus titanum calling the Aristolochia grandiflora
malodorous?"

Keep it simple: Taraxicum officinale calls Oxalis a weed.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 03-07-2004, 03:40 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

"Isn't this the Amorphophallus titanum calling the Aristolochia
grandiflora
malodorous?"

Iris Cohen schreef
Keep it simple: Taraxacum officinale calls Oxalis a weed.

+ + +
That certainly is closer to the level preferred by the two persons involved!
(i.e. low, close to the ground if not subterranean)
PvR

Old 04-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Iris Cohen

That certainly is closer to the level preferred by the two persons involved!
(i.e. low, close to the ground

How about this? Monotropa uniflora calls Corallorhiza heterotrophic.

Did you know? In Australia and the Far East there are certain fungi which are
parasitic on certain trees. There are orchids which live off the fungi without
touching the trees, thus preserving their innocent reputation.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:43 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

That certainly is closer to the level preferred by the two persons
involved! (i.e. low, close to the ground

Iris Cohen schreef
How about this? Monotropa uniflora calls Corallorhiza heterotrophic.

+ + +
No, they attain nothing like that level of sophistication, and they are not
pallid creatures of the night either. How about:

Bellis perennis calling Poa annua common.
PvR

Old 04-07-2004, 06:43 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

or Cocos nucifera calling Couroupita guianensis a menace

[Apparently more people are killed annually by coconuts dropping out of
palms than are killed by sharks]

Old 04-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Iris Cohen

or Cocos nucifera calling Couroupita guianensis a menace

I'm not that familiar with the cannonball tree. What family is it in? The
flowers are pretty, but I'd hate to have one of those fruits fall on me.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Geoff Bryant

It's in the Lecythidaceae, which isn't the best-known of families, though
Barringtonia and Bertholletia are fairly well-known genera.

--
Geoff Bryant
www.hortiphoto.com