Old 16-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Russell W. Patterson

Default Hickory?

Hi:

I'm trying to identify the specific species of Hickory trees in my
inlaws yard. Please take a look at the pictures at:

http://webpages.charter.net/rwpatterson357/temp2/

and let me know if you know.

I think they are of the same species but maybe one is male and other
female? That may be a stupid statement but I'm ignorant on this
subject.

thanks,
russ

Old 16-06-2004, 10:21 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Russell W. Patterson schreef
I think they are of the same species but maybe one is male and other
female? That may be a stupid statement but I'm ignorant on this
subject.

+ + +
Hickories don't have separate male and female trees.
I suppose you have two species here.
Maybe 019 is Carya cordiformis, bitternut? (educated guess only)
Fruits would help, or buds
PvR

Old 16-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Scott Ranger

I think you're right PvR, especially with the tight bark pattern. The leaves
are a bit broader than bitternut, but then again this is in a lawn with lots
of water and fertilizer!
Scott

+ + +

Old 17-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Iris Cohen

Have you looked in a field guide? They are available in every bookstore for a
nominal price, and also at the library. You can also research the subject on
the Web.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 17-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Monique Reed

Hickories are notoriously tricky. Truly confident ID of hickory
species requires the nuts so one can see whether the husk splits
completely, partially, or not at all. The thickness of the shell, the
bitterness/sweetness of the kernel, and the shape and surface of the
nut are important too. Some species are marked by patterns of hair on
the leaflet teeth. Bark marks other species. Even the catkins in the
spring can help--you're lucky that you have the tree close to hand
where you can observe it in different seasons. A field guide or key
that makes use of all these characters would probably get you your
ID.

Monique Reed
Texas A&M

--
˙WPC5

Shagbark Hickory Kaygee Gardening 4 19-08-2004 12:13 AM
Hickory, red oak timbers, lumber - trade for windows or other Mike North Carolina 0 14-11-2003 01:02 PM
Hickory nuts Phisherman Gardening 1 07-10-2003 04:02 AM
Hickory for sale Mike North Carolina 2 24-07-2003 06:12 PM