Old 26-11-2004, 02:41 AM
codex

Default Estimating the age of live trees

I'm interested in estimating the age of some live trees. I've found this
link: http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/leaf/HowOld.html, which gives a
"growth factor" for several species but is not comprehensive.

White Pine (Pinus strobus) and Eastern Redcedar (Juniperus virginianus) are
two species for which I would like to find a "growth factor".

Old 26-11-2004, 02:55 AM
Peter Jason

Bore into the trunk with a narrow-diameter hollow tube.
Extract it and eject the contents.
Then count the rings.
I saw this on TV.

Old 26-11-2004, 03:14 AM
codex

Thanks, but there's some problems with that technique. First, I don't have
a tool that would remove a hollow core from these trees (The largest are
3.5-4.0 ft. in diameter). Second, its intrusive and I'd rather not bore
into the tree. Finally, I'd like to survey a hundred trees or so which
would make it impractical.

The "growth factor" method involves a quick and easy measurement with a
tape, and an estimate is all I need, not spot on accuracy.

Thanks again.

Old 26-11-2004, 04:51 AM
Peter Jason

"codex" wrote in message
Thanks, but there's some problems with that technique. First, I don't

have
a tool that would remove a hollow core from these trees (The largest are
3.5-4.0 ft. in diameter). Second, its intrusive and I'd rather not bore
into the tree. Finally, I'd like to survey a hundred trees or so which
would make it impractical.

The "growth factor" method involves a quick and easy measurement with a
tape, and an estimate is all I need, not spot on accuracy.

Thanks again.

Maybe one could do a high-frequency echo (like done on pregnant women) and
then count the rings revealed.
Then calculate an algorithm based on a sample of trees, and then apply this
to the remainder.

The following:
http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conif...ics/oldest.htm

gives usual methods including the simple one (with picture) I suggested
before.

If you go the Google thing and type in "tree age" in the 'exact phrase' box,
a whole lot of links come up.
Good luck.

Old 26-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Peter Jason

[...]