Old 27-08-2012, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default estimating distances

I'm hopeless at guessing in 3d so wondered if anyone could sort of guess
how wide a space/path would have to be to widen a driveway that at the
moment is just wide enough for two cars/
I was going to help someone dig up her lawn and put down some weed
suppressant and shingle so they could get out of the car on the
passenger side without walking on the grass all the time.The poor lawn
looks like a steamroller has been over it on the drive edge!
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 27-08-2012, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:07:59 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I was going to help someone dig up her lawn and put down some weed
suppressant and shingle so they could get out of the car on the
passenger side without walking on the grass all the time.The poor lawn
looks like a steamroller has been over it on the drive edge!

Assuming that it's just to enable egress from the car and the car doesn't
need to shuffle over to make its easier on the otherside as well then
about 3' should do.

Personally I'd not put down a membrane and shingle but that plastic frame
stuff that the grass can grow through.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land...l/Ground%20Gua
rd/d130/sd3225/p94411

But I'd look to find a cheaper supplier or cheaper alternative...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 27-08-2012, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/08/2012 17:07, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I'm hopeless at guessing in 3d so wondered if anyone could sort of guess
how wide a space/path would have to be to widen a driveway that at the
moment is just wide enough for two cars/
I was going to help someone dig up her lawn and put down some weed
suppressant and shingle so they could get out of the car on the
passenger side without walking on the grass all the time.The poor lawn
looks like a steamroller has been over it on the drive edge!

I'd allow 2 ft each side, but knowing how drivers will move their cars
further apart if they can then make it 2 1/2 t each side.
Old 27-08-2012, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I'm hopeless at guessing in 3d so wondered if anyone could sort of guess
how wide a space/path would have to be to widen a driveway that at the
moment is just wide enough for two cars/
I was going to help someone dig up her lawn and put down some weed
suppressant and shingle so they could get out of the car on the passenger
side without walking on the grass all the time.The poor lawn looks like a
steamroller has been over it on the drive edge!
--
Janet Tweedy

Park the car, open the door and the extra path needs to be just a bit wider
than where the door comes too. probably turn out to be around the 3' mark.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 27-08-2012, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
Personally I'd not put down a membrane and shingle but that plastic frame
stuff that the grass can grow through.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land...l/Ground%20Gua
rd/d130/sd3225/p94411

But I'd look to find a cheaper supplier or cheaper alternative.

Wouldn't heels get stuck in the grids?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 28-08-2012, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 22:30:03 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I'm hopeless at guessing in 3d so wondered if anyone could sort of guess
how wide a space/path would have to be to widen a driveway that at the
moment is just wide enough for two cars/
I was going to help someone dig up her lawn and put down some weed
suppressant and shingle so they could get out of the car on the passenger
side without walking on the grass all the time.The poor lawn looks like a
steamroller has been over it on the drive edge!
--
Janet Tweedy

Park the car, open the door and the extra path needs to be just a bit wider
than where the door comes too. probably turn out to be around the 3' mark.

If you park in a public car park, there's about a foot or so between
cars and in that space you open the door, get out and walk up between
the two vehicles. As I park one car with the wheels almost at the edge
of the drive, I've added a foot of chippings on that side - perfectly
adequate. There's a foot and a bit of existing drive "unused" on the
other side but that's the side the postman walks up with his ruddy
great bag hanging from his shoulder so I've added a foot on that side
as well for his benefit

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.