Old 28-12-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Palm-type trees that live year round?

What type of palm-type trees can live year round, in the midwest? The
atmosphere where I live [in Dallas] varies greatly, from very hot to
very cold [100 degrees to 20 degrees] throughout the year. Rain also
comes & goes frequently. Obviously this is not a tropical climate, but
I've frequently seen people with evergreen palm-type trees that live
year round [typically found in backyards, or at restaurants]. Are they
desert palm trees? Does anyone have any idea what they might be? Thanks!

Old 28-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Cereus-validus...

You have answered your own question.
They are desert palm trees.

oups.com...

Old 28-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Christopher Green

There are several especially hardy palms. Windmill palm (Trachycarpus
fortunei), which has a "traditional" palm tree look to it; and
Mediterranean fan palm (Chamaerops humilis), commonly a houseplant; are
typically safe down to 5 degrees (Fahrenheit throughout) and may be the
most ornamental of the lot. Needle palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix) and
the palmettoes (Sabal minor, Serenoa repens) are still hardier but not
very tree-like.

There was a discussion on rec.gardens of hardy palms that mentioned
quite a few more and some unlikely places to grow palm trees.

If you could count on lows no colder than 20 degrees, you could grow
almost any palm. But around Dallas, I think you have to allow for lows
of 10 (maybe 15 in a favored location) degrees.

--
Chris Green

Old 29-12-2004, 06:34 AM
mel turner

wrote in message
oups.com...
What type of palm-type trees can live year round, in the midwest? The
atmosphere where I live [in Dallas] varies greatly, from very hot to
very cold [100 degrees to 20 degrees] throughout the year. Rain also
comes & goes frequently. Obviously this is not a tropical climate, but
I've frequently seen people with evergreen palm-type trees that live
year round [typically found in backyards, or at restaurants]. Are they
desert palm trees? Does anyone have any idea what they might be? Thanks!

Depending on how loosely you define "palm-type", you might consider
some of the shrubby or tree species of Yucca, some of which should be
fully hardy in your area.

As others have pointed out there are various more or less hardy true
palms. You might be guided in your choices by whatever species you
see thriving as established plants in neighbor's yards

cheers

Old 30-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Peter Jason

"mel turner" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I am having trouble with my Wedding Palm (Lytocaryum Weddellianum) in that
it refuses to stay green and has developed a sickly yellowish cast.
I fear it has not long to live.

Old 31-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Iris Cohen

What about sabal palmetto?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen
Old 31-12-2004, 10:32 AM
mel turner

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
"mel turner" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I had not heard of this palm before, but it sounds like an attractive
small species

http://www.junglemusic.net/palms/lyt...edellianum.htm

and other sites say that it is a shade lover that tends to yellow in
too-strong sun. A possibility here?

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/LytWed.shtml
http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Lytoc...dellianum.html
http://www.bsygarden.com.cn/xxz_e.htm

cheers

Old 31-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Peter Jason

"mel turner" wrote in message
"Peter Jason" wrote in message
"mel turner" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thank you for the links. My small inner-city yard does get sun occasionally
thoug this palm is positioned in the shadiest spot.
It's turning yellower than ever, so as a last resort I will prune it back
and put it inside the house. I did dose it with magnesium a while back, but
the yellow has got worse.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Christopher Green

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 07:16:40 GMT, Charles
wrote:

On 28 Dec 2004 07:02:21 -0800, wrote:

What type of palm-type trees can live year round, in the midwest? The
atmosphere where I live [in Dallas] varies greatly, from very hot to
very cold [100 degrees to 20 degrees] throughout the year. Rain also
comes & goes frequently. Obviously this is not a tropical climate, but
I've frequently seen people with evergreen palm-type trees that live
year round [typically found in backyards, or at restaurants]. Are they
desert palm trees? Does anyone have any idea what they might be? Thanks!

I'm wondering about the California fan palm, Washingtonia filifera.
they grow in the desert here, it gets hot and cold. they are weeds in
my neighborhood.

Hardy to maybe 15F. They might be a good risk in a sheltered location
in Dallas. The more common Mexican fan palm, W. robusta, is less
hardy.

W. robusta is taller and thinner than W. filifera, despite the name,
and it is the tall, elegant palm people associate with Southern
California. It seeds about enthusiastically and can become a weed.

W. filifera is shorter and stockier, grows in wild places like the
palm canyons around Palm Springs, and makes a picturesque specimen
tree, if a little shaggy and unkempt-looking.

Both are wonderful bird trees, because they provide an abundance of
sheltered nest sites. They are also fire hazards if you don't keep the
skirt of old dead leaves trimmed (when the trees get large, they will
require professional trimming).

--
Chris Green