Old 12-01-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Help with Texas thorn tree/shrub/vine

Hi, I come to petition to the all knowing group for help.

My wife and I were out hiking last week in teh east texas piney woods
region and stumbled across a very bad plant.

I say bad - the plant just looked evil - pliant green woody stems
seemingly only there to support the vast number of thorns, which
ranged from an inch to 5 inches long. The main mass of the plant was
thorn, the stems and thorns looked very similar, smooth and green.
The whole tree looked vaguely cloud-shaped, but smaller plants were
quite vine like. The largest trunk we saw was about four inches in
diameter, plants were all free standing.

The leaves were trefoil and smooth edged, obovoid (new word for me),
and were mostly shed for winter i suppose. No flowers that we could
see. The stem holding the leaves (pinnate?) seemed to be trying to
form a leaf of its own, with a central thickened area and flat leafy
part sticking out from it on 2 sides in the plane of the 3 leaves,
kind of like the flap of skin a flying squirrel uses to glide.

Anyway, it was nasty, and i was wondering what it was. I couldnt find
it online or in any of the barnes and noble books i looked in (though
most of these were on gardening or landscaping and no one in their
right mind would actually plant one of these).

Thanks!
Jo

Old 12-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Peter Jason

wrote in message
[...]

Have you seen that movie "The Blob?"
Run.......!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Sean Houtman

wrote in
:

Hi, I come to petition to the all knowing group for help.

"All knowing"? This ain't alt.fan.cecil-adams here, but we can help
you with plant questions.

[...]

Oh, a photo would be nice, but I suppose I will have to try based on
description.

Erythrina herbacea (eastern coral bean) is prickly, trefoiled, grows
in that area, and doesn't flower in January.

Pressed specimen, the flowers have faded from red.
http://sidsite.nybg.org/herbim/1520/...0007914big.jpg
Photo of the plant.
http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mbierner/b.../fab/erythrina
_herbacea.htm

Poncirus trifoliata (trifoliate orange) is spiny, trefoiled, grows
in that area as an introduction, and doesn't flower in January.

Photo of the plant
http://www.wegrowit.com/adams_images...ifoliata01.jpg
A photo of the leaf with the wings you describe.
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/potr.html
Flowers and spines.
http://members.lycos.nl/DKG/fruittee..._trifoliata_bl
oemendoornen.jpg

If there were some things that looked like small oranges on or under
it, it is probably Poncirus.

Sean

Old 12-01-2005, 03:22 PM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:25:54 GMT, Sean Houtman
wrote:

wrote in
:

[...]

Wow, thanks - there were no oranges but you sure nailed it - kudos.
And I learned from another site that the thing I was trying to
describe was a winged rachus.

I have no idea how "japanese hardy oranges" would have ended up deep
in the piney woods, but thanks for the ident. I looked up more
pictures to be sure and here are a few that show its more evil nature

http://www.manntaylor.com/plantweek6c.html

http://www.wegrowit.com/adams_images...ifoliata01.jpg

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...trifoliata.htm

Jo
Old 13-01-2005, 08:23 PM
wcb

[...]

Sounds like trifoliate orange.

--

Cheerful Charlie

Old 13-01-2005, 08:28 PM
wcb

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:25:54 GMT, Sean Houtman
wrote:

wrote in
m:

[...]

Most orange trees in the US are actually grafted onto trifoliate orange root
stock. Luther Burbank fooled with these for awhile trying to breed edible
oranges, T.O. isn't really edible. There are a number of people as a hobby
are trying to crossbreed T.O. with other citrus fruits trying to get
an edible hardy, citrus plant. Some people have used it as a hedge plant
because of the thorns.

--

Cheerful Charlie
Old 15-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Iris Cohen

Sounds like trifoliate orange.
no one in their right mind would actually plant one of these

Look up Poncirus trifoliata. It is also called bitter orange or hardy orange.
There are a number of cultivars, probably with fewer thorns. They are grown as
ornamentals, outside in the South, indoors in conservatories in the North. They
are also used for bonsai. Their main use is as an understock for citrus trees,
to promote cold-hardiness.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Paliurus spina christi - Christ's thorn marija hajdic Bonsai 0 21-01-2004 12:22 PM
Vernacular names [Was: Mystery thorn tree] Phred Plant Science 6 10-01-2004 05:04 PM
Mystery thorn tree Ray Johnstone Plant Science 19 08-01-2004 03:15 PM
Reaction from a Thorn Cdonahey41 Roses 6 14-08-2003 04:42 PM
Thorn-free raspberries? Minteeleaf Edible Gardening 2 14-02-2003 04:27 PM