Old 15-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Heptapleurum arboricola

Don't tell me to Google; I can't get anywhere.
I would like some serious information on this plant. Is it true that it is an
epiphyte? Where can I get detailed growing information, especially for
variegated forms? What is the correct name this week?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Old 16-01-2005, 02:39 AM
Iris Cohen

It's in the Araliaceae

Duh, I know that. I'm looking for a little more detail, thank you.
Old 16-01-2005, 05:11 AM
Cereus-validus...

Its in the Araliaceae

No shit Sherlock.

I aready told her to look it up under Schefflera arboricola.

If she prefers to ignore the advice, she can just eat cake.

"JPittman" wrote in message
ink.net...
Its in the Araliaceae

Old 16-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Iris Cohen

I aready told her to look it up under Schefflera arboricola.
If she prefers to ignore the advice, she can just eat cake.

Actually, I did not see your post. AOL has gone overboard in their antispam
campaign, and I miss many of my newsgroup messages sent from your type of
address. In the future, if you have a message for me, please cc it to my e-mail
address.
I will try looking it up under Schefflera. Is that the correct name?
I only eat sugar-free cake. ;-)
Old 16-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Cereus-validus...

What in the freak is wrong with my address?

All I can say is that is further proof that AOL sucks big time.

Schefflera verses Heptapleurum? Dare I say its a matter of lumpers verses
splitters? The more conservative treatments consider the latter to be only a
subgroup of the former.
Schefflera section Heptapleurum (Gaertner) C.B.Shang in Candollea 39 (2):
462 (1984)

Old 17-01-2005, 01:57 AM
Iris Cohen

What in the freak is wrong with my address?

I have no idea. Ask AOL. A bonsai lady near Albany suddenly discovered she can
send e-mail to me as an individual, but not as part of a list. But I am still
getting those phony proposals from Liberia. Go figure.

Schefflera verses Heptapleurum? Dare I say its a matter of lumpers verses
splitters?

One of the complications was that Schefflera arboricola Hayata was a nomen
nudum, & had to be straightened out later by somebody named Merrill.
I gather that H., Brassaia, and Dizygotheca have all been shoved back into
Schefflera.
However, doing a search under Schefflera arboricola didn't get me much more
information, just that it may be somewhat epiphytic, it hates wet feet (tell me
about it!), and likes full sun.
A search of the species databases tells me the plant comes from Taiwan and was
originally named in 1916.
None of this really answers the question of why mine is just sitting there
doing absolutely nothing. At least it is not dying, so I assume it will grow
when the sun comes back.

Old 17-01-2005, 06:21 AM
Cereus-validus...

Not exactly correct.

Hayata described the species as Heptapleurum arboricola with the name
Schefflera arboricola listed as a provsional synonym. In the same
publication Hayata inadvertently illustrated it under the invalid name
Heptapleurum sasakii, probably a slip not corrected by the editor.

Merrill was the one who validly transferred the species to Schefflera.

The genus Brassaia is also now as section of Schefflera.

Schefflera section Brassaia (Endl.) C.Tseng & G.Hoo,
Acta Phytotaxonomica Sinica Addit. 1 (1965)

Schefflera arboricola (Hayata) Merrill, Lignan Sci. Journ. 5 (1-2): 139
(1929)

syn. Heptapleurum arboricola Hayata, Icones Plantarum Formosanarum 6: 23
(1916)

___ Schefflera arboricola Hayata, Icones Plantarum Formosanarum 6: 23 (1916)
in syn.

___Heptapleurum sasakii Hayata, Icones Plantarum Formosanarum 6: t.4 (1916)
sphalm.

*********

It would appear that the "False Aralia" is now a Schefflera too!

Schefflera elegantissima (Veitch ex Masters) Lowry & Frodin, Baileya 23 (1):
9 (1989)

syn. Aralia elegantissima Veitch ex Masters, Gard. Chron. 1873: 782 (1873)

___Dizygotheca elegantissima (Veitch) R.Viguier & Guillaumin in Lecomte,
Not. Syst. 2: 258 (1912)

************

Why your plant has gone dormant for the winter is probably for the same
reason most other plants do the same thing.

Old 17-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Iris Cohen

I have to admit I have been getting much less spam lately. However, I have no
way of knowing how much legitimate e-mail I am missing. If you need to get in
touch with me, please e-mail me individually.

Old 17-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Cereus-validus...

She's the kind of ISP that you don't take home to mother.

She's a super freak. A super freak. She's super freaky.

Yeow.

**********************

So are you saying you didn't receive my last reply because of those perverse
*******s at AOL?

You're not only getting less spam, you aren't even getting your legit
messages either and that stinks!!!!

Old 17-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Peter Jason

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
I have to admit I have been getting much less spam lately. However, I have

no
way of knowing how much legitimate e-mail I am missing. If you need to get

in
touch with me, please e-mail me individually.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Me too. Perhaps a Russian spam nest has been taken out.

Old 18-01-2005, 03:06 AM
Iris Cohen

Yeah, and I was in the middle of thanking you for the Schefflera clarification
when AOL quit on me.
We will probably leave AOL when my husband gets Verizon DSL figured out.