Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Priscilla Deverell

Default Reproducing Healthy Silver Maples

Hello Group,

If anyone knows how to reproduce silver maple or maple trees period, could
you lend some of your expertise? Here's my story guys..........

Last spring, I decided to grow sliver maple trees from the seeds that are
produced from it's mother tree in my backyard. The seeds germinated quickly
and within a week or two I had new saplings (I think that's what you call
baby trees). However, after a few months they started dying off. Out of a
total of 20 saplings, 5 survived long enough to be planted in the ground
before winter. It is spring again and the planted trees are dead. I am
assuming I did not water enough and/or the soil was not deep enough in their
individual containers.

If I get a good system going, I plan to reproduce as many as 50-100 trees. I
am a beginner so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Priscilla Deverell
Covington, Tennessee