Old 18-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default update on concrete block gardening for asparagus and strawberries

This year my first asparagus for dinner was 15 April and the first
greens from the garden so I can keep that in mind for future years that
15 April starts the fresh garden greens.

The concrete blocks are great for the asparagus especially as I mow
because then I do not mow the asparagus away but I found that I need one
of those tomato wire cages along with the concrete block to keep the
asparagus in summer from falling over and breaking apart. Even a metal
post with wire cage to protect from wind.

A update on the strawberries in the concrete block holes. last year they
did excellently in the concrete block for transplants and they have
grown out of the hole and started spreading wildly into the lawn so what
I am going to do is use the block for transplants and then surround a
patch of strawberries that have outgrown their concrete block holes. So
I surround the patch with concrete block and then have to get inside
there to weed.

Trouble with my old patch of strawberries is that the brome and quack
grass have invaded so much that I want to transplant all the remaining
strawberries out of there. Once brome and quack grass invade it is a
losing battle.

But this year I have a new competitor to concrete block growing. I have
old roofing shingles. Where I transplant I cover the base around the new
tree or shrub with 2 or 3 asphalt roof shingles. They retain most of the
moisture and are easy to mow around and they help to acidify the soil.
My young trees and raspberries really like this asphalt covering.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies