Old 17-06-2005, 05:02 AM
Ivan Kobrinsky

Default Wood preparation and gloss

Hi botany-fans,

Is it favourable for wood, if I (after the general heating process) rub
it in with prefarred vegetable fat?

The wood is meant for private subsequent treatment, therefore it is to
remain relatively well received with/despite procedure.

Old 17-06-2005, 07:40 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

"Ivan Kobrinsky" schreef
Is it favourable for wood, if I (after the general heating process) rub
it in with prefarred vegetable fat?

***
If you heat wood enough (well over 200 centigrade) then the finish applied
won't matter much. Note that heating will affect the structural integrity
and strength.
PvR

Old 17-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Ivan Kobrinsky

P van Rijckevorsel:

Is it favourable for wood, if I (after the general heating process)
rub it in with prefarred vegetable fat?

***
If you heat wood enough (well over 200 centigrade) then the finish
applied won't matter much. Note that heating will affect the
structural integrity and strength.
PvR

I'll consider that, thank you very much.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:16 AM
Sean Houtman

"Ivan Kobrinsky" wrote in
oups.com:

P van Rijckevorsel:

Is it favourable for wood, if I (after the general heating
process) rub it in with prefarred vegetable fat?

***
If you heat wood enough (well over 200 centigrade) then the
finish applied won't matter much. Note that heating will affect
the structural integrity and strength.
PvR

I'll consider that, thank you very much.

He is joking, if you get your wood that hot, it burns.

For a serious answer to your question, there are several plant based
oils that are used on wood, such as Tung oil and Linseed oil. I
wouldn't use an edible oil such as soybean or Canola oil on wood, as
they may affect appearance, and ability to apply glues to it.

Sean

Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

P van Rijckevorsel:
If you heat wood enough (well over 200 centigrade) then the
finish applied won't matter much. Note that heating will affect
the structural integrity and strength.
PvR

"Sean Houtman" schreef

He is joking, if you get your wood that hot, it burns.

***

Wood is routinely heated that much and more in industrial processes,
without any burning occurring. What will exactly happen at high
temperatures will depend on lots of circumstances.

As you know, all that is left unburned of a building after a big fire will
be the wood (big dimensions only).
PvR

Old 01-07-2005, 06:52 PM

In article 1120187814.48888802638365a4984bacac757195b9@teran ews,
Sean Houtman wrote:

For a serious answer to your question, there are several plant based
oils that are used on wood, such as Tung oil and Linseed oil. I
wouldn't use an edible oil such as soybean or Canola oil on wood, as
they may affect appearance, and ability to apply glues to it.

The reason for using ("boiled" not raw) linseed oil, tung oil, and
some others in preference to some random vegetable oil is that these
oils gradually polymerize in the presence of air, forming a sort of
plastic that seals the wood. These are called "drying oils". Most
oils don't do this -- they stay sticky and greasy indefinitely, and
may even develop an unpleasant smell as they become rancid. Dust and
dirt will stick to such a surface, and is not as easily removed as
from one prepared with a "drying oil" or a modern synthetic like
polyurethane.

Paint used to be made by mixing inorganic pigments into boiled linseed
oil, so you can regard the oil as a sort of colorless paint. I've
finished fine wood with linseed oil -- the first coats are mixed with
decreasing amounts of turpentine to carry the oil deeper into the
fibers of the wood, and you're supposed to add another coat of oil
every six months to a year for several years. The results can be good,
but matt urethane is almost as attractive, a lot easier to use, and
protects the wood much better. Of course, I've just worked with
ordinary stuff, like indoor trim and old furniture stripped of paint.
If you're working with antiques or very valuable wood pieces, take
advice from somebody who actually knows about these things, not me!

Btw, don't try to make "boiled" linseed oil yourself -- it's just
called "boiled". It's a more complicated process that involves high
temperatures, and really isn't something you want to do at home, even
if your fire and medical insurance are paid up.