Old 23-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Roger Jensen

Default Help: ID this leaf

What is this very large leafed tree I have found growing in my alley? I live
in Abilene Texas.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Roger

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Member...ture%20010.jpg

Old 24-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Cereus-validus.....

That's a palmate leaf!

If you want the whole plant identified, post more pix when it is in bloom.

m...

Old 01-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Steve Austin

Looks like it is Cnidosculus chayamansa (Chaya or Myan Spinach)
Are you in or near the sub-topics?

It could be any of a lot of plants and the color is brighter than I
would expect for Cnidosculus chayamansa so I wouldn't go off tasting it
too soon!

From:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV045

Chaya is a large, leafy shrub reaching a height of about 6-8 feet. It
somewhat resembles a vigorous hibiscus plant or the cassava plant. The
dark green leaves are alternate, simple, slick surfaced with some hairs,
and palmately lobed (much like the leaves of okra). Each leaf is 6-8
inches across and is borne on a long slender petiole (leaf stem). Where
the leaf stem connects to the leaf, the leaf veins are fleshy and cuplike.

Chaya blooms frequently and both male and female flowers are borne
together at the end of long flower stems. Both kinds of flowers are
small, less than 10 mm long. The white male flowers are much more
abundant. In the fall trials at Gainesville, seed pods about 1 inch wide
and the size of walnuts were produced. These were similar to those on
cassava.

The wood of young stems is soft, easily broken, and susceptible to rot.
When cut, the stem exudes a white latex. Stinging hairs are usually
found on the young stem.

Wild chaya is rarely eaten because of its stinging hairs. Cultivated
varieties differ in the degree of lobing of the leaves, the size of the
leaf, and quantity of the stinging hairs. "Pig chaya" is one of the very
best eating varieties. It has small leaves, with three shallow lobes and
almost no spines. The type found in Florida has five lobes.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Doubt it.

It could just as easily be something Malvaceous.

Cannot say what it is without flowers.

m...

From: