Old 09-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Smith

Default Poorly pond - update (longish)

I posted on here a few weeks back, asking for advice because my fish were
sick and dying at a huge rate. I got some great advice, which I followed, so
here's the update.

We tested for ammonia, and the levels were high, so we immediately ordered a
Green Genie from the internet. In the meantime, we put Ammolock in the pond.
Don't know if you've come across it, but it's a product which locks the
ammonia into harmless clumps until the filter can start to deal with it. It
has the added bonus of neutralising chlorine/chloramine.

We knew there were 4 sick fish. Unfortunately it was too late to save them,
which has left us with 10 goldfish. That's enough, methinks (3750 litre
pond, quite big). However, after running the filter for 3 weeks, there seems
to be a big improvement.

I haven't been feeding the fish very much, and over the past week I've been
sitting by the pond and throwing 3-4 pellets in at a time. What ensues is a
feeding frenzy. I repeat until they've had enough. They come to feed now,
and are much more lively. About a week back, we saw what we thought was a
tadpole, then another, but longer and thinner. All in all, we saw up to 5
little brown fish ranging from 1cm to 3 cm in size. Babies!! Also, the
adults are frolicking in the mornings, racing around and leaping too. Is
this normal?

The lily seems happier. Last year, there were only 3 leaves on it at any one
time - every time a new one came, the oldest one died off. Now we have 5 and
another one on the way, and they all look healthy. The UV has been on for 6
days now, and the pond is clearing rapidly. Maybe the fish are coming to
feed cos they can see me!

I'm really happy that we're getting there. Any other advice would be
gratefully received.
Special thanks to Rodney Pont, your advice has been invaluable.

Tracey