Old 21-04-2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Hodags (was The snake)

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:22:40 CST, wrote:

On Apr 19, 11:27 am, "drsolo" wrote:
Rhinelander? Home of the Hodag?

"kat ^.^" wrote in message

in Rhinelander

That very town. You know the hodag? Tell me more.
kat ^.^
in Rhinelander

Well it doesn't look like I'll be naming snakes anytime soon, the
southern black racer that was in the pond has apparently left for
greener (or wetter, or something) pastures. It may have been some
sort of irreconcilable personality conflict, I don't know. In any
event, the snake is gone.

The hodag is a critter that I didn't expect to find mentioned here. I
am most familiar with the "cave hodag"
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodag). I've been caving pretty much
all over the US, but mostly in the Virginia-West Virginia areas. In
that area the well-known but seldom seen hodag has several
subterranean chambers named in honor of it. I wasn't aware of any
above ground relatives.
--
Galen Hekhuis
We'll cross that bridge when it rears its ugly head

The ORIGINAL hodag was discovered by a fellow named Gene Shepard in the
woods of Rhinelander. Wiki has a nice starter story, and here is more
history:
http://www.hodagpress.com/about.htm.
Lately there have been more hodag sightings (see
http://www.hodagsightings.com/) as they come out of hibernation. Watch you
white bulldogs! They consider them a tasty treat.

--
kat ^.^
Welcome to Malaria Gardens

Old 21-04-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The snake

Hope you enjoyed your stays here!
kat ^.^

"drsolo" wrote in message
. com...
I spent my summers camping up in the land of the Hodag, never learned to
speak tho. Ingrid

wrote in message
ups.com...
(tried this earlier, don't see it, and OE is acting out)
yup, that's the one. You speak Hodag?
kat ^.^
in Rhinelander

Old 21-04-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Fish Dumping was... The snake

I suspect the neighbor got rid of her excess fish each fall by putting them in the
drainage pond, because about two or three years ago it began to be
carpeted in goldfish.

It is amazing that all the US hasn't done what Maine has and outlawed the
common goldfish because of this. At the Demo.Pond we often get the
offerings of the fish dumpers. People dump cats & dogs, so I'm not
surprised they dump fish. There was once an article in our paper showing
one of the treatment plants holding tanks full of those that had been
flushed down the toilets, swimming merrily. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-04-2007, 04:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 09:16:04 CST, "Klatch"
wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nice to have you drop by. We too are enjoying the group being about
as it was before the conflicts.

Your drainage pond sounds quite something. Can the goldies be washed
down stream? It would be sad to have them launched to compete with
the natives.

Jim

Not only sad, but in most jurisdictions it is illegal to release non-native
species into the wild.

Or to move native species from one environment into another where they
haven't previously existed.

Nonetheless, people do both all too often. Fishermen call them
'bucket biologists' in a sneering tone of voice if the species
interferes with the target species of the fishermen.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Old 22-04-2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 10:00:37 CST, "kat ^.^"
wrote:

"Cyli" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:14:33 CST, "kat ^.^"
wrote:

I like that. Better than SsssorcereSSSS: animal hypnotist.
Hi Cyli!!!
Fancy meeting you here!
kat ^.^
in Rhinelander

I saw all the fuss and the creation over in news.groups and decided to
drop in. This is pretty much as I remember it before the gruesome
twosome sucked people into their black hole of trolldom.

I get around a lot of odd places and groups. Some interest in ponds
because my (recently moved) neighbor had a tiny plastic pond on her
deck for a couple of years and because there's a drainage and holding
pond of about 1 / 2 to 1 acre out my back window. I suspect the
neighbor got rid of her excess fish each fall by putting them in the
drainage pond, because about two or three years ago it began to be
carpeted in goldfish.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.
Almost entirely harmless. Really.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Like Phyllis and Jim say, I hope they don't escape. That's why I haven't
put goldfish or the like in our pond (maybe 1/3 acre, dug out of the swamp).
Even though there's little chance they'd get into the creek, it's not worth
the gamble.
Bet it's cool, though, watching all the little goldies.

The ice is officially off of our pond now--hurrah!

They probably will go downstream. The pond feeds into a system that
feeds into a local lake. Which is all explained on a sign at the
street corner by the edge of the pond. Whoever put them in there
either didn't understand or didn't care. There is at least one very
obvious filter at the outgoing end, but....

The lake it will go to doesn't have an outlet, just sinks into ground
water with overflow going through a culvert to a swamp across the road
which has no place to drain and sinks into ground water as far as I
can tell. And it's got algae all over one end, because people will
keep fertilizing their lawns and were allowed to keep them up to the
very water's edge until very recently.

Luckily the small lake has a lot of hungry small mouth bass and some
walleyes. Might even have a pike or two in there.

Old 22-04-2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Oh yes, fond fond memories. Ingrid

Old 22-04-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Cyli wrote:

Or to move native species from one environment into another where they
haven't previously existed.

Nonetheless, people do both all too often. Fishermen call them
'bucket biologists' in a sneering tone of voice if the species
interferes with the target species of the fishermen.

Of course, most of those intentional introductions are done by fishermen.
Around here it's because they'd rather fish for Bass than our native
species.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

white snake - white snake.jpg Persephone Garden Photos 1 26-04-2007 10:54 PM
Water Snake = Grass Snake? Terry Pinnell United Kingdom 1 15-06-2005 09:11 AM
Snake--- cool snake story... Gareee© Ponds 0 04-05-2004 02:02 PM
Snake repellent PacKat Gardening 8 03-06-2003 12:44 AM
Snake Traps [safe for you & wont harm the snake] james North Carolina 0 26-04-2003 02:56 AM