Old 27-04-2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Replacing pond liner - seeking advice

We've had our house for about six months now and are at last getting
around to replacing the leaky pond liner. With the pond, we inherited
about 14 small-medium gold fish, along with one quite large koi carp.
The pond itself will be about a 10ft x 8ft oval, with varying shelves
and depths - the deepest being about 1.5m.

I've read up on the subject and (plan in hand) am pretty comfortable
with the actual physical design/construction process. What I have
read conflicting information about is how long to leave the water to
settle until putting the fish back in?

The local pond centre suggests we keep the fish in a large barrell
during the changeover and reuse as much of the old pond water as
possible. So...we won't be entirely using tap water (about half-and-
half), but some sources have said we should leave it a couple of days
for the water to settle, and others have said upto six weeks!

Can anyone give a bit of advice?

Many thanks,

Tim

Old 27-04-2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Timmah1980 wrote:
[...]

What filtration do you intend using? Using half the old pond water may speed
up the process, but I'd tend to leave for at least two weeks if possible.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 28-04-2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Timmah1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
We've had our house for about six months now and are at last getting
around to replacing the leaky pond liner. With the pond, we inherited
about 14 small-medium gold fish, along with one quite large koi carp.
The pond itself will be about a 10ft x 8ft oval, with varying shelves
and depths - the deepest being about 1.5m.

That koi can reach 3' long. You may want to consider finding it a home in a
larger pond.

I've read up on the subject and (plan in hand) am pretty comfortable
with the actual physical design/construction process. What I have
read conflicting information about is how long to leave the water to
settle until putting the fish back in?

I let it sit for a few hours with the pumps and an aerator running. That is
if I use a dechlorinator (you may also have chloramines in your water to
neutralize.) If not, then I wait at least 24 hours with everything running.
I don't do this often as the ammonia builds rapidly in the holding
tank/pool.

The local pond centre suggests we keep the fish in a large barrell
during the changeover and reuse as much of the old pond water as
possible.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! That is not at all necessary. That water had dissolved
solids you want to get rid of. Do keep some of the "seasoned" filter
material to seed the new setup.

So...we won't be entirely using tap water (about half-and-
half), but some sources have said we should leave it a couple of days
for the water to settle, and others have said upto six weeks!

Everyone has an opinion. I've returned them almost immediately after adding
a dechlorinator without any problems whatsoever.

Can anyone give a bit of advice?

If you keep them in a barrel or small pool for more than a few hours ammonia
is going to be a serious problem. The safest thing would be to put them in
a kiddy pool with 50% old water (to help acclimate them to the change) and
add their old filter. Watch the ammonia anyway as this doesn't always work.
Net the thing so they don't jump out

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-04-2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:25:28 CST, Timmah1980 wrote:

[...]

The 2 most important things will be temperature and pH, not time, IMO. You
can use some of the old water, if it is clear (no sludge or cloudiness). In
fact, IMHO it will be less likely to go green, as you'll still have some of
the balance from the use of the old water.

Do have on hand, test kits for ammonia, pH & KH, plus a thermometer, Some
ammonia detox and salt also should be purchased. Once pH & temp are quite
close to same, you can move the fish. Then watch your water quality. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 29-04-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

What filtration do you intend using? Using half the old pond water may speed
up the process, but I'd tend to leave for at least two weeks if possible.

We've already got a pond pump and filter, which seems to do the job ok.

Old 29-04-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks for the info.

If I'm leaving the new water for upto two weeks to settle properly,
will the fish be ok in a kids paddling pool (with current pond pump
and filter running) for that length of time?

Everyone has an opinion. I've returned them almost immediately after adding
a dechlorinator without any problems whatsoever.

What sort of thing is a "dechlorinator"? Is it some kind of filter or
a chemical I'd add to the water? Either way...how much do they cost?

Old 30-04-2007, 03:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Timmah1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the info.

If I'm leaving the new water for upto two weeks to settle properly,
will the fish be ok in a kids paddling pool (with current pond pump
and filter running) for that length of time?

Everyone has an opinion. I've returned them almost immediately after
adding
a dechlorinator without any problems whatsoever.

What sort of thing is a "dechlorinator"? Is it some kind of filter or
a chemical I'd add to the water? Either way...how much do they cost?

=============================
If your water contains chlorine or chlorimine (disinfectants used by water
utilities) you need a chemical to neutralize it. It's toxic to fish and
pond life. Here in the USA it's not expensive.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-04-2007, 02:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:40:41 CST, Timmah1980
wrote:

What sort of thing is a "dechlorinator"? Is it some kind of filter or
a chemical I'd add to the water? Either way...how much do they cost?

It is a product you add to the water to remove chlorine or chloramines
put into the water at your local water source, unless you have a well
of your own. It is usually available at the local fish store, but
here is an example of one online.

http://www.fritzpet.com/chlrem.html

Regards,

Hal

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Pond Liner Material Identification - What Pond Liner to Choose FLP Ponds (alternative) 0 10-02-2010 09:35 AM
Replacing pond liner - seeking advice Timmah1980 Ponds 2 27-04-2007 11:31 PM
Pond Liner vs. Roof Liner BenignVanilla Ponds 8 15-11-2006 06:09 PM
Replacing liner? Ralph Ponds 0 14-09-2004 08:07 PM
Replacing PVC Liner (questions) Amanda Galiano Ponds 3 02-09-2003 09:03 PM