GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/159192-rubbermaid-glue-report-forget-gorilla-glue.html)

Gareee© 27-05-2007 12:37 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

It dries very brittle, and just chips right off the rubbermaid. I did find a
great simple waterproof seal though for adding a cap to t a toilet flange..
it fits on, but not waterproof, and I didn't want to glue it, in case I want
to cannibalize parts down the road. A simple wrap of duct tape around worked
great to seal the minute space there.

Thinking of trying hot melt glue, or pvc glue next on the rubbermaid.

Can't really assemble the rubbermaid filter without some gluing/sealing
solution.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Kurt[_2_] 27-05-2007 03:13 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

In article ,
"Gareee©" wrote:

It dries very brittle, and just chips right off the rubbermaid. I did find a
great simple waterproof seal though for adding a cap to t a toilet flange..
it fits on, but not waterproof, and I didn't want to glue it, in case I want
to cannibalize parts down the road. A simple wrap of duct tape around worked
great to seal the minute space there.

Thinking of trying hot melt glue, or pvc glue next on the rubbermaid.

Can't really assemble the rubbermaid filter without some gluing/sealing
solution.

How about a good silicone glue? (Like aquarium sealer)

Phyllis and Jim 27-05-2007 04:44 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

How about a good silicone glue? (Like aquarium sealer)

Tar like substance might do better as it would give a flexible bond.

The compression of a rubbery substance is a wothwhile direction. We
have one berm pond with a toilet flange as the exit. It is rather
like a burger: The flange is the outer layer (bread/bun). Then two
layers of EDPM, coated with roofing sealer on either side and between
(lettuce and tomatoes?). Then the plastic (burger in the center). It
repeats on the other side with two layers of EDPM and a flat toilet
ring. The flange and the ring are held together by stainless steel
bolts and washers. The bolts compress the edpm and tar, resulting in
a rather good seal. We have used that technique on the berm pond
drains as well. They are holding well with edpm liners as well.

Jim

RichToyBox 27-05-2007 02:48 PM

"Gareee©" wrote in message
It dries very brittle, and just chips right off the rubbermaid. I did find
a great simple waterproof seal though for adding a cap to t a toilet
flange.. it fits on, but not waterproof, and I didn't want to glue it, in
case I want to cannibalize parts down the road. A simple wrap of duct tape
around worked great to seal the minute space there.

Thinking of trying hot melt glue, or pvc glue next on the rubbermaid.

Can't really assemble the rubbermaid filter without some gluing/sealing
solution.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

3M has a marine urethane sealant that I have heard good things about called
Fast Cure 5200. It is a moisture curing system that goes tack free in about
1 hour and completely cured in 24 hours. It is flexible and has better bond
than silicone. Apply it a little thick, loosely tighten to force some of
the sealant out all the way around the joint. After it has cured, tighten
the screws to force pressure on the material as a conforming gasket.

Gareee© 27-05-2007 06:51 PM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

I'm thinking of trying the wax gaskets they actually use with the toilet
flanges... idea is to make the hole large enough to just accomodate the end
opening, and have the large part of the flage inside the rubbermaid... and
have one of the wax toiulet gaskets between the flange and the rubbermaid
wall.. with compression, the wax should seal the opening, it's VERY sticky,
so should grip the rubbermaid, and since there will always be water on them,
the temperatures should keep them cool. they are somewhat temperature
tolerant, I believe, and since they are wax, there shouldn;t be any
chemicals to leech out into the pond water.

Seems like a cheap and simple solution, after trying quite a number of
glue/gasket solutions.

If it works, I'll have discovered a neat cheap trick.. if not, I'm no worst
off.
--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Phyllis and Jim 27-05-2007 10:05 PM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

Clever. My only concerns would be heat melting it (sun) or it
hardening up and being moved somehow in the depth of winter.

Jim

Ralph & His Clowder 28-05-2007 12:16 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

Kurt wrote:

In article ,
"Gareee©" wrote:

It dries very brittle, and just chips right off the rubbermaid. I did find a
great simple waterproof seal though for adding a cap to t a toilet flange..
it fits on, but not waterproof, and I didn't want to glue it, in case I want
to cannibalize parts down the road. A simple wrap of duct tape around worked
great to seal the minute space there.

Thinking of trying hot melt glue, or pvc glue next on the rubbermaid.

Can't really assemble the rubbermaid filter without some gluing/sealing
solution.

How about a good silicone glue? (Like aquarium sealer)

I used aquarium sealer on the Rubbermaid stock tank for my Skippy filter
and it's worked well. I liked the aquarium sealer because, if
directions are followed, it is safe for the fish.
Gabrielle

Gareee© 28-05-2007 01:15 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

Ok, here's what I learned today:

Just when you think you remember that toilet wax not being "too bad" to mess
with, you use it again and hate the stuff.. LOL Sticky, and nasty.

Good news, it worked flawlessly, from what I can tell. No leaks at all, and
connects are solid.

Might need to add a 4" elbow and line down from the outlet on top.. the
accordion 4" drainage hose/pipe puts more weight on that top flange then I'd
like. idf I do, I'll put a 90 degree elbow on it, and then run the 4" pvc
down th efront, and then put another elbow on it to make it reach the pond
better.

Bad news, is the gorilla glue that looked liek it sealed the 3/4 inch pvc
water inlet didn't.when the rubbermaid filled, it buldged, the gorilla glue
let go, and had a big nasty leak there. that will have to attached
differently. Might look into that aquarium glue that's been mentioned. I
already have shoe goo and silicon sealer.. wonder if it's different from
those?

So I had partial success today. I think when building something liek this,
it's be much better to find something with thicker plastic then a rubbermaid
trash can,.. even the 50 gallon ones have thin walls for attaching fittings.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Kurt[_2_] 28-05-2007 01:41 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

In article .com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Clever. My only concerns would be heat melting it (sun) or it
hardening up and being moved somehow in the depth of winter.

Jim

Aquarium silicone sealer will handle all temps, always be watertight and
is safe for fish. It's also inexpensive.

Kurt[_2_] 28-05-2007 01:41 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

In article ,
Ralph & His Clowder wrote:

Kurt wrote:

In article ,
"Gareee©" wrote:

It dries very brittle, and just chips right off the rubbermaid. I did find
great simple waterproof seal though for adding a cap to t a toilet flange..
it fits on, but not waterproof, and I didn't want to glue it, in case I
want
to cannibalize parts down the road. A simple wrap of duct tape around
worked
great to seal the minute space there.

Thinking of trying hot melt glue, or pvc glue next on the rubbermaid.

Can't really assemble the rubbermaid filter without some gluing/sealing
solution.

How about a good silicone glue? (Like aquarium sealer)

I used aquarium sealer on the Rubbermaid stock tank for my Skippy filter
and it's worked well. I liked the aquarium sealer because, if
directions are followed, it is safe for the fish.
Gabrielle

That's why I use it.

~ jan[_3_] 28-05-2007 02:11 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

My son uses the Goop products on Rubbermaid stuff. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Phyllis and Jim 28-05-2007 02:12 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

The compression would have to be steadily compressed once it is
hardened. It won't bond to the plastic. That is why we went for EDPM
and a tar-like sealer. It can stretch if there is any flex in the
can. Steady pressure on the silicone would work as well, as long as
it did not get moved.

Jim

Gareee© 28-05-2007 09:16 PM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
The compression would have to be steadily compressed once it is
hardened. It won't bond to the plastic. That is why we went for EDPM
and a tar-like sealer. It can stretch if there is any flex in the
can. Steady pressure on the silicone would work as well, as long as
it did not get moved.

So aquarium glue will not bond to the rubbermaid then?

The fitting won't be moved much, but the Rubbermaid does stretch with the
water weight, and since it is a fitting to an external line, I'm sure there
will be some simple occasional stress from cleaning the pond, hooking things
up, and detaching them, and storing the uv filter for winter.

I could use shoo goo (by the Goop people, and put a very generous amount on
both the interior and exterior. another thought, was to put it first on the
pvc pipe itself, so there's already a rubber "gasket" around it, and then
use it ac I described above.. I'd think the goop then would bond well to
itself.

Still considering options before pulling the filler out, and redoing that.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Kurt[_2_] 29-05-2007 02:37 AM

"Gareee©" wrote:

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
The compression would have to be steadily compressed once it is
hardened. It won't bond to the plastic. That is why we went for EDPM
and a tar-like sealer. It can stretch if there is any flex in the
can. Steady pressure on the silicone would work as well, as long as
it did not get moved.

So aquarium glue will not bond to the rubbermaid then?

Besides making sure the surface is clean and free of any grease, You
could also roughen the rubbermaid maid surface with sandpaper around
where you want the seal, just to give it a little "tooth".

The fitting won't be moved much, but the Rubbermaid does stretch with the
water weight, and since it is a fitting to an external line, I'm sure there
will be some simple occasional stress from cleaning the pond, hooking things
up, and detaching them, and storing the uv filter for winter.

I could use shoo goo (by the Goop people, and put a very generous amount on
both the interior and exterior. another thought, was to put it first on the
pvc pipe itself, so there's already a rubber "gasket" around it, and then
use it ac I described above.. I'd think the goop then would bond well to
itself.

Shoe Goo might work also. I've only used it on shoes, though.

Still considering options before pulling the filler out, and redoing that.

Phyllis and Jim 29-05-2007 04:06 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

The silicone would work fine, like a gasket, if it has compression.
With plastic flex, it is likely to come loose from its bond.

Jim

Kurt[_2_] 29-05-2007 05:14 AM

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

The silicone would work fine, like a gasket, if it has compression.
With plastic flex, it is likely to come loose from its bond.

Jim

But the silicone is designed to be adhesive. I know that cheaper
silicone window seal is easy to peel, but the quality stuff sticks
pretty well. Aquarium sealer is designed for pressure on the glass (from
the inside, too).

Phyllis and Jim 29-05-2007 04:47 PM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

But the silicone is designed to be adhesive.

Good point. Our aquaria have the silicone holding well on glass.
Indeed, we have had to shave it off to clear the glass!

We have not had as good a result with plastics. They have to be
really clean and the bond really good. I wouldn't want to run with it
without compression to hold things steady.

Maybe someone can get with a manufacturer to talk about bonding and
flex.

Jim

Derek Broughton 29-05-2007 06:44 PM

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

But the silicone is designed to be adhesive.

Good point. Our aquaria have the silicone holding well on glass.
Indeed, we have had to shave it off to clear the glass!

Silicone is a really odd adhesive. If you ever read the package or tube,
you'll see "not to be used below the waterline". It isn't a very strong
adhesive, and it functions _really_ poorly when wet. The interior of the
glass join in an aquarium _isn't_ wet - but if you somehow allow water in
there, the joint failure can be catastrophic.

We have not had as good a result with plastics. They have to be
really clean and the bond really good. I wouldn't want to run with it
without compression to hold things steady.

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Gareee© 30-05-2007 01:37 PM

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

But the silicone is designed to be adhesive.

Good point. Our aquaria have the silicone holding well on glass.
Indeed, we have had to shave it off to clear the glass!

Silicone is a really odd adhesive. If you ever read the package or tube,
you'll see "not to be used below the waterline". It isn't a very strong
adhesive, and it functions _really_ poorly when wet. The interior of the
glass join in an aquarium _isn't_ wet - but if you somehow allow water in
there, the joint failure can be catastrophic.

We have not had as good a result with plastics. They have to be
really clean and the bond really good. I wouldn't want to run with it
without compression to hold things steady.

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.

Hmm.. so then I'm still left with a glue dilemma.. only thing I can still
think of is a goop/shoe goo "sleeve" on the inlet 1" pvc pipe, and then shoe
goo applied both inside and out as well.

UV seems to be doing OK so far, but without being able to remove the
suspended particles, visibility still sucks.

Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Hal[_1_] 30-05-2007 04:26 PM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

On Wed, 30 May 2007 06:37:27 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.

Hmm.. so then I'm still left with a glue dilemma.. only thing I can still
think of is a goop/shoe goo "sleeve" on the inlet 1" pvc pipe, and then shoe
goo applied both inside and out as well.

Bulkhead fitting with flange on both sides of the
bulkhead/liner/container wall. Insert silicon seal allow to cure,
then tighten, or compress the silicon seal.

May be more expensive, but it will save time and energy.

Regards,

Hal

Gareee© 30-05-2007 06:02 PM

wrote:

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.

Hmm.. so then I'm still left with a glue dilemma.. only thing I can still
think of is a goop/shoe goo "sleeve" on the inlet 1" pvc pipe, and then
shoe
goo applied both inside and out as well.

Bulkhead fitting with flange on both sides of the
bulkhead/liner/container wall. Insert silicon seal allow to cure,
then tighten, or compress the silicon seal.

May be more expensive, but it will save time and energy.

Not sure where I'd get the parts for this..they don;t really have a lot for
this type of setup in the local Lowe's, keeping in mind this is for either
3/4 inch or 1" pvc pipe.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

G Pearce 31-05-2007 05:05 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

Bulkhead fitting with flange on both sides of the
bulkhead/liner/container wall. Insert silicon seal allow to cure,
then tighten, or compress the silicon seal.

May be more expensive, but it will save time and energy.

Not sure where I'd get the parts for this..they don;t really have a lot
for this type of setup in the local Lowe's, keeping in mind this is for
either 3/4 inch or 1" pvc pipe.

Hi Gary - Hal is right - Bulkhead fittings are the answer, for any thickness
of plastic or rubber, just make sure you tighten it - I use it on 45 gal
plastic barrels for bio-filters - no leaks - they come from 3/8" up to 2"
and maybe larger - go to a farm supply store that has supplies for sprayers
for fields - up here in Canada a 2" fitting is about $15 Can - smaller ones
are less - I would never use pvc fittings and any kind of glue - Bulkheads
around here are used on up to 5000 gal (and maybe larger) tanks with no
problem - my filter has been running for 12 yrs - no leaks
Gale :~)

Gareee© 31-05-2007 06:56 AM

"G Pearce" wrote in message

Hi Gary - Hal is right - Bulkhead fittings are the answer, for any
thickness of plastic or rubber, just make sure you tighten it - I use it
on 45 gal plastic barrels for bio-filters - no leaks - they come from 3/8"
up to 2" and maybe larger - go to a farm supply store that has supplies
for sprayers for fields - up here in Canada a 2" fitting is about $15
Can - smaller ones are less - I would never use pvc fittings and any kind
of glue - Bulkheads around here are used on up to 5000 gal (and maybe
larger) tanks with no problem - my filter has been running for 12 yrs - no
leaks

Ok, so bulkhead fittings are metal? I have a farm supply store here,
(fortunately).. are they also available at Lowe's? I did something similar
with the toilet flanges.. I attached them from the inside, and used the
regualr wax seals for them. I added long bolts, and used LARGE washers on
each side, tighten down,. with silicon between them and the rubbermaid to
add just a little more seal to them. Those look to be working great.

I'll see if I can find the bulkhead fittings tomorrow if possible. If they
are heavy, might that be an issue for the plastic to support?

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Doug Brown 31-05-2007 10:56 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

I entered bulkhead fitting and got 454,000 hits. This one might even be
what you're looking for; http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm.

Bulkhead fittings are usually made of various plastics and can be found
on-line or at swimming pool suppliers and some specialty plumbing supply
shops.

Derek Broughton 31-05-2007 02:07 PM

wrote:

Nope. If you flex silicone it's _never_ going to hold.

Hmm.. so then I'm still left with a glue dilemma.. only thing I can still
think of is a goop/shoe goo "sleeve" on the inlet 1" pvc pipe, and then
shoe
goo applied both inside and out as well.

Bulkhead fitting with flange on both sides of the
bulkhead/liner/container wall. Insert silicon seal allow to cure,
then tighten, or compress the silicon seal.

May be more expensive, but it will save time and energy.

Not sure where I'd get the parts for this..they don;t really have a lot
for this type of setup in the local Lowe's, keeping in mind this is for
either 3/4 inch or 1" pvc pipe.

"Bulkhead" fittings are exactly what they sound like - fittings for
providing a seal through marine bulkheads. So you get them from places
that sell parts for boats.

G Pearce 31-05-2007 05:04 PM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

Ok, so bulkhead fittings are metal? I have a farm supply store here,
(fortunately).. are they also available at Lowe's? I did something similar
with the toilet flanges.. I attached them from the inside, and used the
regualr wax seals for them. I added long bolts, and used LARGE washers on
each side, tighten down,. with silicon between them and the rubbermaid to
add just a little more seal to them. Those look to be working great.

I'll see if I can find the bulkhead fittings tomorrow if possible. If they
are heavy, might that be an issue for the plastic to support?

The ones I use are plastic - I don't think Lowes would carry them as they
are used mainly for industrial applications, not home repair
No they aren't heavy, no extra support required. I used them on a square
Rubbermaid container for a bio-filter for a small pond for a customer (3/4"
inlet and 2" return fitting). The container was a square ~ 28"X20" and 24"
deep - the ones they have in Walmart (blue)
Gale :~)

cat daddy 31-05-2007 06:38 PM

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"G Pearce" wrote in message

[...]

An Improvised PVC Bulkhead Fitting for Liquid Storage Tanks
http://www.truetex.com/bulkhead.htm
"...plastic electrical conduit fittings are the secret ingredient to
improvising a bulkhead fitting."

Rubbermaid Commercial Products
5050-12 Stock Tank Drain Plug Kit , $20.40
http://tinyurl.com/2l542w

http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/pr...egoryID_rcpNum
=507_5050-12&categoryID_subcategoryID_rcpNum=507_555_5050-12

Gareee© 01-06-2007 05:25 AM

Doug Brown" wrote in message
This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

True, but as you just said, you got TONS of hits.. and after trying about 8
different ways to attach fitting to the rubbermaid, I don;t want to screw it
up, and I don't want to deal with leaks and tearing the whole thing apart a
week from now.

It's not like there's a "build your own pond filter" website, with specs,
part numbers and order info.

I went through similar issues last year building the smaller filter, and not
once was adding a bulkhead even mentioned.

After seeing th epics the last poster posted of what they look like, it all
makes good sense now, and looks doable. With any luck, the local farm supply
store will have them. otherwise, I'll have to order parts over the web.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

~ jan[_3_] 01-06-2007 09:59 AM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

On Mon, 28 May 2007 14:16:18 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

I could use shoo goo (by the Goop people, and put a very generous amount on
both the interior and exterior. another thought, was to put it first on the
pvc pipe itself, so there's already a rubber "gasket" around it, and then
use it ac I described above.. I'd think the goop then would bond well to
itself.

DS said he roughed up the surface of the Rubbermaid before applying. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Derek Broughton 01-06-2007 02:59 PM

Gareee© wrote:

Doug Brown" wrote in message
This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

True, but as you just said, you got TONS of hits.. and after trying about
8 different ways to attach fitting to the rubbermaid, I don;t want to
screw it up, and I don't want to deal with leaks and tearing the whole
thing apart a week from now.

It's not like there's a "build your own pond filter" website, with specs,
part numbers and order info.

There isn't? Too bad, I know there used to be some (OK, perhaps not so far
as "order info" but with specific part availability).

cat daddy 01-06-2007 03:47 PM

Gareee© wrote:

Doug Brown" wrote in message
This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

True, but as you just said, you got TONS of hits.. and after trying

about
8 different ways to attach fitting to the rubbermaid, I don;t want to
screw it up, and I don't want to deal with leaks and tearing the whole
thing apart a week from now.

It's not like there's a "build your own pond filter" website, with

specs,
part numbers and order info.

There isn't? Too bad, I know there used to be some (OK, perhaps not so

far
as "order info" but with specific part availability).

Building A Bio-Logical Filter for your Pond
http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

~ jan[_3_] 01-06-2007 04:49 PM

Rubbermaid glue report: Forget Gorilla Glue

Gareee© wrote:
Bulkhead fittings

www.aquaticeco.com ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

San Diego Joe 02-06-2007 01:35 AM

"Derek Broughton" wrote:

Gareee© wrote:

Doug Brown" wrote in message
This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

True, but as you just said, you got TONS of hits.. and after trying about
8 different ways to attach fitting to the rubbermaid, I don;t want to
screw it up, and I don't want to deal with leaks and tearing the whole
thing apart a week from now.

It's not like there's a "build your own pond filter" website, with specs,
part numbers and order info.

There isn't? Too bad, I know there used to be some (OK, perhaps not so far
as "order info" but with specific part availability).

Funny. Try googling "build your own pond filter"

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Derek Broughton 03-06-2007 04:42 PM

San Diego Joe wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote:

Gareee© wrote:

Doug Brown" wrote in message
This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

True, but as you just said, you got TONS of hits.. and after trying
about 8 different ways to attach fitting to the rubbermaid, I don;t want
to screw it up, and I don't want to deal with leaks and tearing the
whole thing apart a week from now.

It's not like there's a "build your own pond filter" website, with
specs, part numbers and order info.

There isn't? Too bad, I know there used to be some (OK, perhaps not so
far as "order info" but with specific part availability).

Funny. Try googling "build your own pond filter"

I'm not sure what your point is. I don't see anything there that actually
gives the sort of detail Gareee wants. I really do recall having seen some
that did.

Gareee© 03-06-2007 05:50 PM

San Diego Joe wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote:

Gareee© wrote:

Doug Brown" wrote in message
This really isn't that tough, and google should be your friend.

True, but as you just said, you got TONS of hits.. and after trying
about 8 different ways to attach fitting to the rubbermaid, I don;t
want
to screw it up, and I don't want to deal with leaks and tearing the
whole thing apart a week from now.

It's not like there's a "build your own pond filter" website, with
specs, part numbers and order info.

There isn't? Too bad, I know there used to be some (OK, perhaps not so
far as "order info" but with specific part availability).

Funny. Try googling "build your own pond filter"

I'm not sure what your point is. I don't see anything there that actually
gives the sort of detail Gareee wants. I really do recall having seen
some
that did.

It's funny you mention that,. Derek.. the whole point of getting the group
back was to have a resource for us to share information, but when someone
has an honest problem, and asks for issues, were were a number of "google it
yourself" replies.

When I build my smaller filter last year, not once was a bulkhead mentioned
in any reply, and I think I made 15 trips to either a lowe's walmart or home
depot getting parts to assemble. I've already spent probably 4 hours in
store this year on the new one, and a full day on assembly, trying to get it
right with a larger filter this go around.

I'm still not 100% sure the toilet flages using the wax gaskets will work
over time, but no one offered a solution to adding them to a rubbermaid at
all, so I just kind of made it up as I went along. I stil might have to
actually make gaskets of some kind, and add a home made rigid gasket for the
inner connectors on the rubbermaid.

And while many people live "in the big city" where a lot of options for
parts are available, many of us do NOT, and have few shopping options. I
personally have a Lowe's and walmart nearby, a Home Depot 30 minutes highway
away, and a few scattered farm supply stores, that look like they are still
mired in the 70's. My only other resource is shopping on the web, but if you
get the wrong parts, it's weeks before that can be turned around and
rectified, plus then you have to add shipping costs.

I was a bit dismayed by the negative replies to me assembly issues, but held
my tounge.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Derek Broughton 03-06-2007 09:13 PM

Gareee© wrote:

I was a bit dismayed by the negative replies to me assembly issues, but
held my tounge.

Seriously, I think much of it wasn't intended to be negative (I admit to
having missed at least half the thread, though) but was more in the sense
of not realizing that what was obvious to many responders wasn't obvious to
you. I know when I initially responded about glues, I was completely
unaware you were trying to put a fitting through the Rubbermaid and thought
you were trying to fix a hole.

It would be a wonderful thing if anybody _does_ know of any build-your-own
filter sites with real part numbers if they'd post links. Even when the
original builder is in a different country, if you have actual part numbers
you can find out exactly what they are on the web, then you can find local
suppliers that sell similar items. It eliminates a lot of guess work.

cat daddy 03-06-2007 11:23 PM

Gareee© wrote:

I was a bit dismayed by the negative replies to me assembly issues, but
held my tounge.

Seriously, I think much of it wasn't intended to be negative (I admit to
having missed at least half the thread, though)

There were many great replies, both for experiences with adhesives as well
as sources of info for bulkhead fittings.

but was more in the sense
of not realizing that what was obvious to many responders wasn't obvious

you. I know when I initially responded about glues, I was completely
unaware you were trying to put a fitting through the Rubbermaid and

thought
you were trying to fix a hole.

It would be a wonderful thing if anybody _does_ know of any build-your-own
filter sites with real part numbers if they'd post links.

Again, there were several great sites posted, both with DIY info, and
commercial parts ordering sites, but both you and Garee apparently missed
all of them.

Gareee© 04-06-2007 01:32 AM

"cat daddy" wrote in message

There were many great replies, both for experiences with adhesives as well
as sources of info for bulkhead fittings.

Yes, and from the replies, I never got any confirmation abotu any adhesive
really working on rubbermaid containers

Again, there were several great sites posted, both with DIY info, and
commercial parts ordering sites, but both you and Garee apparently missed
all of them.

No, I did see them, and visited them,.. and they were posted about 2 weeks
after the original thread was started.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

~ jan[_3_] 04-06-2007 02:48 AM

Garee wrote:
It's not like there's a "build your own pond filter" website, with specs,
part numbers and order info.

I went through similar issues last year building the smaller filter, and not
once was adding a bulkhead even mentioned.

Actually, if you'd looked at mine, which is always at the bottom of my sig.
I show the filter, the parts, where purchased, cost (at the time), and part
numbers. Granted some of the info is old, but it will still get you there.
Bulkheads are part of the list.

Unfortunately it is somewhat different than what you are building. I'm
sorry, I assumed (oops) that you'd seen my website at one time or another.

I should know better. Especially after yesterday when a lady stopped by the
booth I was manning asking about pond builder/fixers who actually showed up
to work. Turned out after talking with her for a bit, she had a leak and
hadn't even tried the method of turning off the water fall to see if it was
there. She was already to rip it out, order a new liner, and hire someone
to do. She'd already had someone out who didn't measurements and didn't get
back to her.... and he didn't even make sure that's where the problem was.

Click on Demon Pond Filter to see picture and the parts list. Click on "My
Filter" to see it in ground. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Kurt[_2_] 04-06-2007 03:32 AM

San Diego Joe wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote:

Gareee© wrote:

Doug Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Only that when people were inquiring about very general things, a good
place to start is with Google.
I found myself going to Google for a few of the topics brought up here,
and was able to learn even more.