Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Default new frog species

Two dozen new species were found
in the South American country of Suriname.

I especially like this pink spotted frog
http://tinyurl.com/2nbl9g

k :-)

Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"k" wrote in message
ups.com...
Two dozen new species were found
in the South American country of Suriname.

I especially like this pink spotted frog
http://tinyurl.com/2nbl9g

====================================
Why are all the pretty colorful frogs tropical? All our frogs here are some
shade of green, brown or gray.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote:

Why are all the pretty colorful frogs tropical? All our frogs here are some
shade of green, brown or gray.

Nature usually favors creatures that blend in with their surroundings so
that predators can't find them or those that taste horrible so predators
won't want to find them. So many of those frogs that evolved with
colorful surroundings became colorful. The others didn't have any
evolutionary pressure to do so. So the observation is that it seems
that tropical surroundings are more colorful and I believe that is
correct. Also, they are more colorful all year long.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

Why are all the pretty colorful frogs tropical? All our frogs here are
some
shade of green, brown or gray.

Nature usually favors creatures that blend in with their surroundings so
that predators can't find them or those that taste horrible so predators
won't want to find them. So many of those frogs that evolved with
colorful surroundings became colorful. The others didn't have any
evolutionary pressure to do so. So the observation is that it seems
that tropical surroundings are more colorful and I believe that is
correct. Also, they are more colorful all year long.

=============================
That makes sense. Our frogs do blend into the background as do the toads.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 17:14:04 CST, k wrote:

Two dozen new species were found
in the South American country of Suriname.

I especially like this pink spotted frog
http://tinyurl.com/2nbl9g

k :-)

Ooh, Aah, pretty. Where the heck is Suriname? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Looks to be in the top right hand corner
of South America. Only about half a million
people!

k :-)

Old 08-06-2007, 05:55 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

Two dozen new species were found
in the South American country of Suriname.
I especially like this pink spotted frog
http://tinyurl.com/2nbl9g

Ooh, Aah, pretty. Where the heck is Suriname? ~ jan

In what used to be Dutch Guiana. It lies in between French Guiana to the
east and Guyana to the west and Brazil to the south and the Atlantic to
the north. It is the smallest country in South America in both
population and area. Don't blink.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Stephen Henning wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote:

Why are all the pretty colorful frogs tropical? All our frogs here are
some shade of green, brown or gray.

Nature usually favors creatures that blend in with their surroundings so
that predators can't find them or those that taste horrible so predators
won't want to find them. So many of those frogs that evolved with
colorful surroundings became colorful. The others didn't have any
evolutionary pressure to do so. So the observation is that it seems
that tropical surroundings are more colorful and I believe that is
correct. Also, they are more colorful all year long.

Only slightly off the subject, I discovered a new frog species last night.
At least, it was the subject of a 5 or 6 year search. We have Spring
Peepers (yes, it's still Spring here in the Great White North) and I search
for them every time I take the dogs out for their pre-bedtime walk. I know
I get within feet of them, but I have _never_ been able to spot them.

Finally, last night, I found one! And, yeah, they're some shade of brown...
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Rate This Thread: