GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Algae in corners of pond (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/160831-algae-corners-pond.html)

Paul 27-06-2007 09:05 AM

Algae in corners of pond

I have just posted a question about my pump. Now i noticed a lot of string
type algae in the corners of the pond and a lot of algae in the filters them
selves, but the water is clear and test strips say water is good. I made a
skippy type filter which worked great last year, but this year, not so
great. Have the same amount of fish. My water hyacinths are doing really
poor. They won't grow, just seem to turn brown or just stay the same....Any
help? Thanks......................

~ jan[_3_] 27-06-2007 10:06 AM

Algae in corners of pond

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 02:05:44 CST, "Paul" wrote:

I have just posted a question about my pump. Now i noticed a lot of string
type algae in the corners of the pond and a lot of algae in the filters them
selves, but the water is clear and test strips say water is good. I made a
skippy type filter which worked great last year, but this year, not so
great. Have the same amount of fish. My water hyacinths are doing really
poor. They won't grow, just seem to turn brown or just stay the same....Any
help? Thanks......................

Dying WH are a good indication of possible too high a pH. What are the
numbers on your test strips claiming? What is the expiration date of the
strips? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Phyllis and Jim 27-06-2007 01:02 PM

Algae in corners of pond

Your algae growth suggests that your other plants are not growing
strongly. When they do, the algae can't compete. It's growth just
says there are nutrients not being grabbed by stronger plants. You
are surely right to point to poor growth by your other plants. Jan
and others will make suggestions about helping them have a growth
environment. You can pull the string algae with a brush and remove
the nutrients it has captured. Pulling it is an aesthetic decision.
It will die back once it gets out-competed.

Jim

Paul 27-06-2007 07:23 PM

Algae in corners of pond

PH level getting higher from doing water changes? I also add pond salts to
required level using a test kit.
ups.com...

Paul 27-06-2007 07:38 PM

Algae in corners of pond

Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

George[_6_] 27-06-2007 07:57 PM

Algae in corners of pond

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite
0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The
date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at 7.4
or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate levels are
0. If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of? I think you may want to consider getting another nitrate kit and
re-testing the water. I'd also try to slowly get that Ph down. I'd
probably go ahead and clean the filter as well. Hope this helps.

George

George[_6_] 27-06-2007 07:58 PM

Algae in corners of pond

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite
0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The
date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

I also meant to ask you if you've tested the water you are adding to the
pond.

George

George[_6_] 27-06-2007 08:02 PM

Algae in corners of pond

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite
0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The
date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

Another thing. If algae is growing in the filter, then I take it that the
filter is exposed to sunlight. I'd change that unless you are talking
about a veggie filter. My filters are fully enclosed, and so no sunlight
gets in. Some algae does occasionally grow on the outside of the submerged
pre-filter canister, however, but that's almost never a problem. But
remember, algae is not necessarily a bad thing. It can be unsightly and
runaway growth is an indication of an imbalance, but you are always going
to have some algae, and that is actually a good thing. You just want to
try to grow the right kind of algae. Do you have any pictures of your pond
and your filtration system that you can post on a photo web site, and post
a link here for us to look at? That would be appreciated. I would try to
get that Ph down (which may be affecting your plants) and get a new nitrate
test kit.

George

~ jan[_3_] 27-06-2007 08:57 PM

Algae in corners of pond

Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

What is the highest reading the pH on the strips goes to? If only 8.0, it
could be much higher. What is the % of salt currently in the water?

If there is not a problem with your fish, there is no need for salt...
unless you have a nitrite reading. The strips though are not the way to go
for reading that, just not reliable enough, plus they're pricey if using 1
or more/day.

Expired 3/06? They either are way out of date, or expired 3/07, which still
means expired. I highly recommend getting liquid test kits. American
Pharmaceuticals... Or better, easier, a tad more money, but you can buy
refills rather than the whole kit, Nutrafin/Hagen test kits. They're test
for Ammonia is instant read (no 5 minute wait), and only 1 bottle needed,
doesn't show ammonia when Amquel used. Get the Wide Range pH kit.

I haven't tried their Nitrite or KH kit, but I plan to switch entirely over
to their kits when next I purchase. Plus they have a very clear expiration
date printed on the box. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

BoyPete 27-06-2007 10:50 PM

Algae in corners of pond

George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The
date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at
7.4 or below.

My pond, now 13 months old, has always given 8 to 8.5 for Ph. I've had no
problems.
I have some string algae, and the pond planting is going wild! Algae is a
fact of life, I wouldn't worry about it.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

George[_6_] 28-06-2007 12:08 AM

Algae in corners of pond

"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0 Nitrite
0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0. The
date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at
7.4 or below.

My pond, now 13 months old, has always given 8 to 8.5 for Ph. I've had no
problems.
I have some string algae, and the pond planting is going wild! Algae is a
fact of life, I wouldn't worry about it.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Is that the Ph of London municipal water? Sounds like seawater to me.
What's your salinity?

George

~ jan[_3_] 28-06-2007 01:21 AM

Algae in corners of pond

American Pharmaceuticals...

Should read Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. s ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Reel McKoi[_11_] 28-06-2007 01:24 AM

Algae in corners of pond

"George" wrote in message

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at 7.4
or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate levels
are 0.

The algae may be soaking it up.

If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of?

That's where it's probably going!

I think you may want to consider getting another nitrate kit and
re-testing the water. I'd also try to slowly get that Ph down. I'd
probably go ahead and clean the filter as well. Hope this helps.

My ponds are always over 8 and the plants thrive. If the plants start
looking puny I add a heaping Tbs. of Potash per 1000g. In days they perk
up. I read that here years ago. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

George[_6_] 28-06-2007 04:19 AM

Algae in corners of pond

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at
7.4 or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate
levels are 0.

The algae may be soaking it up.

If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of?

That's where it's probably going!

There has to be some, otherwise the algae would not continue to grow.

George

Nick Cramer[_2_] 28-06-2007 06:35 AM

Algae in corners of pond

"George" wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at
7.4 or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate
levels are 0.

The algae may be soaking it up.

If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of?

That's where it's probably going!

There has to be some, otherwise the algae would not continue to grow.

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae control.
It's fish friendly.

~Semper Fi~

BoyPete 28-06-2007 06:35 AM

Algae in corners of pond

George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
Well according to test strips these are the results: Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ttl Hardness 150ppm Ttl Alkalinity Moderate/80ppm Ph 8.0.
The date
stamped on botton is 03/2006 A lot of algae is in the filter
itself...............Thanks

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine
at 7.4 or below.

My pond, now 13 months old, has always given 8 to 8.5 for Ph. I've
had no problems.
I have some string algae, and the pond planting is going wild! Algae
is a fact of life, I wouldn't worry about it.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Is that the Ph of London municipal water? Sounds like seawater to me.
What's your salinity?

George

LOL No idea :)
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

~ jan[_3_] 28-06-2007 09:14 AM

Algae in corners of pond

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:35:01 CST, Nick Cramer wrote:

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae control.
It's fish friendly.

Ooow, ouch, I wouldn't normally recommend herbicides, too easy to overdose
a small pond. Even though it says it is plant and fish safe, I've seen
plants fail to thrive in ponds using algaefix, another popular algaecide
for ponders. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

George[_6_] 28-06-2007 09:14 AM

Algae in corners of pond

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"George" wrote:
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message

The Ph seems to be really high for a freshwater pond. I keep mine at
7.4 or below. I also find it very hard to believe that your nitrate
levels are 0.

The algae may be soaking it up.

If there are no nitrates in the water, what is the algae feeding off
of?

That's where it's probably going!

There has to be some, otherwise the algae would not continue to grow.

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae
control.
It's fish friendly.

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
!
~Semper Fi~

I don't have an algae problem, though I'm sure the OP will appreciate the
link.

George

George[_6_] 28-06-2007 09:15 AM

Algae in corners of pond

"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

No offense intended about the drinking water in London. You can get a
hydrometer pretty cheaply at a pet supply shop and find out. Make sure you
get one with as wide a range as possible. Or better yet, just ask your
water authority what it is supposed to be.

George

Nick Cramer[_2_] 28-06-2007 10:08 AM

Algae in corners of pond

wrote:

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae
control. It's fish friendly.

Ooow, ouch, I wouldn't normally recommend herbicides, too easy to
overdose a small pond. Even though it says it is plant and fish safe,
I've seen plants fail to thrive in ponds using algaefix, another popular
algaecide for ponders. ~ jan

I certainly wouldn't recommend Copper Sulfate to the home ponder!

~Semper Fi~

Nick Cramer[_2_] 28-06-2007 10:08 AM

Algae in corners of pond

"George" wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

I've used pH rolls for decades, for various things. One source is

http://catalog.miniscience.com/catal...s/Default.html

~Semper Fi~

[email protected] 28-06-2007 04:32 PM

Algae in corners of pond

neither would I ... tricky, very tricky. much better to deal with the
cause of overgrowth of algae. Ingrid

[email protected] 28-06-2007 04:32 PM

Algae in corners of pond

just get a pond salt test kit. they are cheap and more accurate for
our ponds. Ingrid

[email protected] 28-06-2007 04:33 PM

Algae in corners of pond

Nobody should add salt to their water until they have done a salt test
to determine the native level of salt in their water. Especially
anyone near a coast. I disagree, there is a lot of evidence that a
low level of salt in the water helps stimulate slime coat and is
protective to fish especially when they get dinged during spawning, or
on rocks, etc. Ingrid

[email protected] 28-06-2007 04:33 PM

Algae in corners of pond

they live off the level of nitrates that are below testing levels. I
have never had a healthy pond test anything but zero to all three
tests. Ingrid

~ jan[_3_] 28-06-2007 06:44 PM

Algae in corners of pond

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 03:08:14 CST, Nick Cramer wrote:

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae
control. It's fish friendly.

Ooow, ouch, I wouldn't normally recommend herbicides, too easy to
overdose a small pond. Even though it says it is plant and fish safe,
I've seen plants fail to thrive in ponds using algaefix, another popular
algaecide for ponders. ~ jan

I certainly wouldn't recommend Copper Sulfate to the home ponder!

Is the Copper in this stuff a different (safer?) compound? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Nick Cramer[_2_] 28-06-2007 08:17 PM

Algae in corners of pond

~ jan wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 03:08:14 CST, Nick Cramer

Check out http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/cutrine.htm for algae
control. It's fish friendly.
[ . . . ]

Is the Copper in this stuff a different (safer?) compound?

The copper itself is the same. An excellent article on the differences
between CuSO4 and chelated copper may be found at
http://www.bassresource.com/fish_bio...ae_copper.html from which I
briefly quote:

"For many years, nuisance algae blooms have been treated with copper
compounds, namely copper sulfate products. Metallic copper has proven to be
a powerful algaecide, however there are a number of potentially negative
side effects when using copper sulfate products."

"If you must use an algaecide, [i] strongly recommend using a product with
a chelated copper compound. These compounds are also using metallic copper
as the active ingredient, but in the chelated forms the copper is combined
with other compounds to help prevent the loss of active copper from the
water."

~Semper Fi~

George[_6_] 28-06-2007 11:18 PM

Algae in corners of pond

"George" wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Nick. That will work great for determining the salinity! (note
sarcasm) lol

George

George[_6_] 28-06-2007 11:18 PM

Algae in corners of pond

wrote in message
. com...
they live off the level of nitrates that are below testing levels. I
have never had a healthy pond test anything but zero to all three
tests. Ingrid

Are you saying that you've never had a healthy pond that didn't have zero
levels of nitrates? If so, you are one of the few out there that have.

Nick Cramer[_2_] 29-06-2007 03:24 AM

Algae in corners of pond

"George" wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

You're welcome, Gearge. Please note regarding the other suggestion of a
hydrometer that a hydrometer is an instrument used for determining the
specific gravity of liquids, without regard to the substance that varies it
from 1.0000, whether battery acid, alcohol, sugar, salt, etc. (Note lack of
sarcasm - I find yours rather disappointing)

~Semper Fi~

BoyPete 29-06-2007 08:43 PM

Algae in corners of pond

George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Just why would tap water be saline? It's 'fresh' water.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Gill Passman 29-06-2007 09:27 PM

Algae in corners of pond

BoyPete wrote:

Just why would tap water be saline? It's 'fresh' water.

LOL - I've been dying to ask that question every since I saw the
question of salinity raised in this thread......and BTW I do have a
hydrometer and have checked the tap water (zero of course) but only out
of idle curiousity after checking my marine tanks....

Gill

BoyPete 29-06-2007 09:28 PM

Algae in corners of pond

Interesting thread. All sorts (salts :) ) of chemical stuff being
recomended. I started my pond in May '06, about 650 gals. I hoped to avoid
the use of chemicals by good management and filtering. Heavy planting, which
is now flourishing, to the point I need to prune stuff back to see the
water, a dozen or so fish (4 of which were born in the pond) all thriving,
and growing at a rapid rate, particularly two koi. Ph at about 8.5,
nitrate/nitrite/ammonia all zero. No chemicals. Some string algea, but
nothing to be bothered with. :)
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Spam Collector 29-06-2007 11:32 PM

Algae in corners of pond

On 2007-06-29, BoyPete wrote:

Just why would tap water be saline? It's 'fresh' water.

It wouldn't be as salty as seawater, but there are areas along
coastlines (usually not the rocky ones) and places inland (such
as a large area of West Texas) where well water is naturally salty..

Frank

George[_6_] 30-06-2007 12:52 AM

Algae in corners of pond

"George" wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

[...]

My point was that a Ph kit isn't going to tell you anything about the
salinity of your water. A hydrometer will.

George

~ jan[_3_] 30-06-2007 01:25 AM

Algae in corners of pond

On 2007-06-29, BoyPete wrote:

Just why would tap water be saline? It's 'fresh' water.

It wouldn't be as salty as seawater, but there are areas along
coastlines (usually not the rocky ones) and places inland (such
as a large area of West Texas) where well water is naturally salty..
Frank

California water, like drinking chlorinated salt water. Blah! I think it
runs up to 0.05% in some areas of CA. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

~ jan[_3_] 30-06-2007 04:45 AM

Algae in corners of pond

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:04:03 CST, "Paul" wrote:

Could i use a pool ph test just to see if it shows the level??

Dying WH are a good indication of possible too high a pH. What are the
numbers on your test strips claiming? What is the expiration date of the
strips? ~ jan

Sure, but the pool testers I'm familiar with, IIRC, don't go much above 8.0
either.

Basically if you've got a test kit that measures to 8.2 and you get a
measurement of 8.0, you can feel fairly confident that it is 8.0 (assuming
the reagents are fresh). If the test kits top mark is 8.2 and you get a
reading of 8.2 one can't be confident that 8.2 is the highest the water
will test. Why I like Nutrafin/Hagen's Wide Range, it tests from 4.5 - 9.0.
~ jan

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

George[_6_] 30-06-2007 08:03 AM

Algae in corners of pond

On 2007-06-29, BoyPete wrote:

Just why would tap water be saline? It's 'fresh' water.

It wouldn't be as salty as seawater, but there are areas along
coastlines (usually not the rocky ones) and places inland (such
as a large area of West Texas) where well water is naturally salty..

Frank

Exactly. Just because it is "fresh water" doesn't mean that it doesn't
have dissolved solids and chlorides. In the U.S., the national secondary
drinking water regulations allows up to 500 mg/l of total dissolved solids
in drinking water, and up to 250 mg/l of chloride. If your drinking water
contains chlorides AND TDSs close to the allowable limit, you will have a
relatively high salinity (as freshwater goes), and that can affect your Ph.
That was the reason I asked the question.

George

RichToyBox 30-06-2007 01:37 PM

Algae in corners of pond

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
BoyPete wrote:

Just why would tap water be saline? It's 'fresh' water.

LOL - I've been dying to ask that question every since I saw the question
of salinity raised in this thread......and BTW I do have a hydrometer and
have checked the tap water (zero of course) but only out of idle
curiousity after checking my marine tanks....

Gill

I have been told the hydrometers just aren't sensitive enough to be able to
measure the salinity of tap water or even our pond water. They are designed
for testing water with salinity of around 3.5%. My pond water tests at
around 0.03 or 0.04% by salinity meter without any salt additions. When
treating for nitrites, the level desired is around 0.1% to 0.15% which is
still a very low level compared to the design of the hydrometer.

One of the bottled waters that we have bought for drinking is a product of
reverse osmosis or distillation, per the bottle, with sodium chloride and
calcium carbonate added for flavor. G