Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Fry........

What are all you people doing with your excess koi fry? I'm out of options.
I've already traded or sold around 500 this spring and still have 3
yearlings and about 150 smaller fry (2 to 3" size). I can't bring myself
to destroy all these prefectly healthy pretty young fish.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
What are all you people doing with your excess koi fry? I'm out of
options. I've already traded or sold around 500 this spring and still have
3 yearlings and about 150 smaller fry (2 to 3" size). I can't bring
myself to destroy all these prefectly healthy pretty young fish.

Maybe there's some way to package and ship them? If so, maybe they could be
sent to interested people in the group, or you could set up a temp website
for selling them?

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 03-07-2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Gareee©" wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
What are all you people doing with your excess koi fry? I'm out of
options. I've already traded or sold around 500 this spring and still have
3 yearlings and about 150 smaller fry (2 to 3" size). I can't bring
myself to destroy all these prefectly healthy pretty young fish.

Maybe there's some way to package and ship them? If so, maybe they could be
sent to interested people in the group, or you could set up a temp website
for selling them?

I know that Barstow Koi (and others) FedEx the fish. Never have seen one
of their containers.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
What are all you people doing with your excess koi fry? I'm out of
options. I've already traded or sold around 500 this spring and still
have 3 yearlings and about 150 smaller fry (2 to 3" size). I can't
bring myself to destroy all these prefectly healthy pretty young fish.

Maybe there's some way to package and ship them? If so, maybe they could
be sent to interested people in the group, or you could set up a temp
website for selling them?

==========================
Shipping is out of the question. I've already looked into it. I'm in the
Nashville TN area so anyone willing to pick them up are welcome to them.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 3, 12:01 am, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
"Gareee©" wrote in message

... "Reel McKoi" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried an ad in a local paper with atractive prices(maybe
ridiculous prices) for people who can't afford the more expensive
fish? You make a few dollars and a lot of people happy??? Nanzi\
Wish you were closer, I'd jump on a good deal.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article .com,
Olde Hippee wrote:

On Jul 3, 12:01 am, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
"Gareee©" wrote in message

... "Reel McKoi"
wrote in message
[...]

Try Craigslist (if you live in an area it covers).

Old 05-07-2007, 06:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
Try Craigslist (if you live in an area it covers).

========================
Thanks,... I'll look into Craig's list. :-) I didn't think of that.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message

I know that Barstow Koi (and others) FedEx the fish. Never have seen one
of their containers.

========================
My great fear is they'll suffocate in the bags since I have no way to add
oxygen as do the professional shippers. We can't even drive them to
Nashville, an hour away without having to run aerators. Also, you have to
buy shipping bags and insulated boxes in large amounts. They don't sell say
25 at a time.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message

I know that Barstow Koi (and others) FedEx the fish. Never have seen one
of their containers.

========================
My great fear is they'll suffocate in the bags since I have no way to add
oxygen as do the professional shippers. We can't even drive them to
Nashville, an hour away without having to run aerators. Also, you have to
buy shipping bags and insulated boxes in large amounts. They don't sell say
25 at a time.

I wasn't aware how they packed the fish for the long trip. I have a Koi
food manufacturer as a client, I'll ask about this.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message

I know that Barstow Koi (and others) FedEx the fish. Never have seen
one
of their containers.

========================
My great fear is they'll suffocate in the bags since I have no way to add
oxygen as do the professional shippers. We can't even drive them to
Nashville, an hour away without having to run aerators. Also, you have
buy shipping bags and insulated boxes in large amounts. They don't sell
say
25 at a time.

I wasn't aware how they packed the fish for the long trip. I have a Koi
food manufacturer as a client, I'll ask about this.

======================
Please let me know what they say. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message

I know that Barstow Koi (and others) FedEx the fish. Never have seen
one
of their containers.
========================
My great fear is they'll suffocate in the bags since I have no way to add
oxygen as do the professional shippers. We can't even drive them to
Nashville, an hour away without having to run aerators. Also, you have
buy shipping bags and insulated boxes in large amounts. They don't sell
say
25 at a time.

I wasn't aware how they packed the fish for the long trip. I have a Koi
food manufacturer as a client, I'll ask about this.

======================
Please let me know what they say. :-)

As I understand it, koi are usually shipped one or two to a pack, which
consists of a bag of water pumped with oxygen (1/3 water, 2/3 oxygen) in
a roughly 2ft. by 2 ft. styrofoam box. You can get larger bags and
boxes, but the key is that you don't want the fish moving around a lot.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

yup. altho the boxes can be considerably larger for koi. and it is
good to quit feeding the koi for a week before, cool them down and
pack the box with ice packs (NOT DRY ICE!!!). ALSO, a squirt of
ammolock is a good idea, but dont use bag buddy or other medications.
Ingrid

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:18:27 CST, Kurt
wrote:
As I understand it, koi are usually shipped one or two to a pack, which
consists of a bag of water pumped with oxygen (1/3 water, 2/3 oxygen) in
a roughly 2ft. by 2 ft. styrofoam box. You can get larger bags and
boxes, but the key is that you don't want the fish moving around a lot.

Rate This Thread: