Old 25-07-2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Ponds of differing purposes connected?

Morning,

We're soon to reoccupy our old house. The pond that we had there
suffered greatly during our absence, and despite it's large size and
depth it has become totally infested with Anacharis and Parrots'
Feather. In addition to such a terrible fate, the pole barn is soon to
collapse into it- while we were away the sides of the pond collapsed in
and it has migrated to the wall of the barn and into it. So, needless to
say, that pond is going away by being refilled.

We have bought the lot next to ours, and being on a hill as it is
we're having half of it converted into a large pond for fishing. It'll
be pretty deep and probably close to 100' by 45 or 55'. Since we're
putting in a replacement goldfish pond, probably in that area, I'm
wondering if there would be a problem having the large pond feed the
goldfish pond? The large pond will be earthen-bottomed, and be planted
with local aquatic plants (Rough River Lake, Kentucky). It will house
Bluegill and Bass fish for the express purpose of fishing- our kids love
to fish. The goldfish pond will be lined and contain what butterfly koi
and comets that we can rescue from the pond-not-to-be. Plants will be
mostly lillies and hyacinths with some other little goodies- all
potbound, we've learned our lesson! They would be connected by a PVC
pipe that I'd have some kind of strainer in to keep out things from the
large pond and a valve for refilling ease, and there would be probably a
bog filter area.

Could it be problematic to have the two ponds share the same water?

Old 25-07-2007, 04:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We have a bass and bluegill pond for the same reason. The kids love
to fish!

The bluegill pond would not need circulation. The koi pond would
probably benefit from it. How would they be related? Pumping water
between? Refilling by shared level? Have they a stream to fill them
or will you be using city water?

Jim

Old 25-07-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We have connected ponds. The larger pond houses the koi and the lower
pond
houses the goldfish. We have found that the eggs travel and there are
a few koi
that have made it to the lower pond and also into the veggie filter.
Also the gold
fish have migrated to the koi pond. That is the only problem that we
have had.
When we tried to filter the water flowing between the ponds, it
continually was
clogged (seveal times a day) so we removed the filter.
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-07-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

the predator fish will get into the decorative fish pond and probably
eat them. I wouldnt circulate between those two ponds with different
fish. Ingrid

Old 27-07-2007, 10:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

When I first built my pond at our current home I choose a design where there
was a small waterfall. It spilled into a pond about 12 by 12 foot where I
intended to keep pond plants. That pond had a spillway that filled another
12 by 12 foot pond for my koi. Within weeks of transfer my plants and fish
I think every fish had learned how to swim from the koi pond into the plant
pond. It was any a 6 to 12 inch uphill swim against a fairly strong
current. As the plants and fish shared a home in the prior pond it really
was not that much of a problem. I did waste allot of time building the wall
between the ponds.
Dan
"rmx256" wrote in message
[...]

Rate This Thread: