Old 31-07-2007, 06:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Looking for advice - sandy soil

I am planning a "stream-leading-to-pond" in an area behind a retaining
wall in sloping, very sandy conditions. Like making a stream and pond
on a sand dune. My plan is to super saturate the soil with water to
make it stay put while I dig out the forms for the top resivour,
stream and pond. My biggest concern is the easily shifting soil and
was just wondering if anyone has any experience in working with that
environment.

I guess my question is how to keep the sand from shifting once the
basic liner and rock are in place.
Rocks? Concrete ? Topsoil ? Lots of vegetation?

Old 31-07-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"TahoeKid" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am planning a "stream-leading-to-pond" in an area behind a retaining
wall in sloping, very sandy conditions. Like making a stream and pond
on a sand dune. My plan is to super saturate the soil with water to
make it stay put while I dig out the forms for the top resivour,
stream and pond. My biggest concern is the easily shifting soil and
was just wondering if anyone has any experience in working with that
environment.

I guess my question is how to keep the sand from shifting once the
basic liner and rock are in place.
Rocks? Concrete ? Topsoil ? Lots of vegetation?

Soil has a natural angle of repose, and will stand at that angle without
support. If you want the sides to be steeper than that, then you need some
sort of structure. The structure can be concrete block, concrete, treated
wood, or railroad ties. Without the structure, everytime you walk near the
edge, some of the soil is going to move toward the pond, lowering the edge.

Old 31-07-2007, 03:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:51:08 CST, TahoeKid wrote:

I guess my question is how to keep the sand from shifting once the
basic liner and rock are in place.
Rocks? Concrete ? Topsoil ? Lots of vegetation?

Retaining wall stones around the perimeter and level out the area?
If water doesn't rush over, or get under the sand it isn't likely to
move once it has been soaked and settled into place.

Regards,

Hal

Old 31-07-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

first pond dug in sand. lined it with epdm. it collapsed.
second time we used concrete block filled with the sand. is going
great after 10 years. Ingrid

Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 31, 11:37 am, wrote:
first pond dug in sand. lined it with epdm. it collapsed.
second time we used concrete block filled with the sand. is going
great after 10 years. Ingrid

Ok, looks like I got some good info. I'll post back in a few weeks
after its all in place.
I'm probably going to embed a large number of rocks/stones into the
sand to help support
the sides of the stream to lessen the soil shift problem. Maybe
burying concrete paving
stones also, since they have a large surface area and will dissipate
weight when walking
around it.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"TahoeKid" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 31, 11:37 am, wrote:
first pond dug in sand. lined it with epdm. it collapsed.
second time we used concrete block filled with the sand. is going
great after 10 years. Ingrid

Ok, looks like I got some good info. I'll post back in a few weeks
after its all in place.
I'm probably going to embed a large number of rocks/stones into the
sand to help support
the sides of the stream to lessen the soil shift problem. Maybe
burying concrete paving
stones also, since they have a large surface area and will dissipate
weight when walking
around it.

If you've got access to silty or clayey soil in your area, it wouldn't hurt
to mix some in with your sandy soil. That will also help firm it up, and
will help you to compact it and make it more cohesive, strengthening it.
Remove about 50% of the sand and replace it with the clayey soil,and mix
well. Alternatively, you can mix in some dense grade aggregate, which
should be available from most any construction contractor, or local quarry.
Be careful about using stone - make sure that it is rounded. If you plan
to line the pond (I assume you are) with plastic, angular rock could end up
puncturing your liner. Just a few suggestions.

George

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Hi, Advice about poor sandy soil please? greenboot United Kingdom 2 22-06-2007 09:19 PM
Hi, Advice about poor sandy soil please? greenboot United Kingdom 0 21-06-2007 09:01 PM
Pond in Sandy soil nagtegaal Permaculture 2 28-06-2003 06:32 PM
sandy soil Willow Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
stablize pond sides in sandy soil John Bachman Ponds 6 02-04-2003 01:56 AM