Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Matala filter media?

I have to buy the filter material for my barrels soon and I was going to use
the standard JJ horizontal filter method for barrel 2, but I came across the
Matala rounds recently. After reading the Meck article again I think I'll
stick to the horizontal flow, but I see Matala makes sheets too (48*39).
Although 39" seems like it would waste a lot of material. How do you seal
these in the barrel BTW, so you don't get too much leakage around the edges?
I gather it's just friction?

Pond Update:
Wimped out on the digging today; I wasn't making much progress on the
remaining hardpan so I called an excavating company. A young guy (owner)
shows up to look at my puddle and comes back with his pick and shovel. :-)
He did a lot of grumbling about being hard sh*t and having employees for
this kind of work, but he dug out 2 yards of hard clay in about 3 hours. It
cost me more than I would have liked, but he did a decent job and the pond
stands a better chance of being done this year.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:40:19 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

I have to buy the filter material for my barrels soon and I was going to use
the standard JJ horizontal filter method for barrel 2, but I came across the
Matala rounds recently. After reading the Meck article again I think I'll
stick to the horizontal flow, but I see Matala makes sheets too (48*39).
Although 39" seems like it would waste a lot of material. How do you seal
these in the barrel BTW, so you don't get too much leakage around the edges?
I gather it's just friction?

I've thought of getting this stuff eventually myself. Stiff, more self
supporting. I'm wondering if one could put in 2 with open cell foam in the
middle of them? Or even somehow make a frame of open cell foam around the
Matala, now that would be a waste of material unless you used the foam
elsewhere.

Pond Update:
Wimped out on the digging today; I wasn't making much progress on the
remaining hardpan so I called an excavating company. A young guy (owner)
shows up to look at my puddle and comes back with his pick and shovel. :-)
He did a lot of grumbling about being hard sh*t and having employees for
this kind of work, but he dug out 2 yards of hard clay in about 3 hours. It
cost me more than I would have liked, but he did a decent job and the pond
stands a better chance of being done this year.

Sounds good to me! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-09-2007, 05:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
[...]

Which thickness of foam do you use, the 2"? I think the Matala stuff is just
floor polisher pad material based on the colours?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:50:58 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Which thickness of foam do you use, the 2"? I think the Matala stuff is just
floor polisher pad material based on the colours?

I use 1", and in my filter at home it works great, no problems it except
when I draw the water down to pull them out to clean. After I've pulled
about half of them (total 8 in a barrel) the last 4 kind of fold down into
the barrel making it harder to reach them.

The Matala that I've seen is like this plastic weave material I've seen on
cheap flip flops.

Btw, my filter foam is cut a bit bigger then the 22" diameter of the
barrel, so it is kind of curved in the barrel, ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-09-2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:50:58 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Which thickness of foam do you use, the 2"? I think the Matala stuff is
just
floor polisher pad material based on the colours?

I use 1", and in my filter at home it works great, no problems it except
when I draw the water down to pull them out to clean. After I've pulled
about half of them (total 8 in a barrel) the last 4 kind of fold down into
the barrel making it harder to reach them.

The Matala that I've seen is like this plastic weave material I've seen on
cheap flip flops.

Btw, my filter foam is cut a bit bigger then the 22" diameter of the
barrel, so it is kind of curved in the barrel, ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

I was thinking the 2" foam might provide more resistance, so it would stay
in place better. I was going to buy the 10' x 2" x 56" which s/b equivalent
to your 8". It's $240 from a local pond place though. Did you buy your foam
from a fabric shop or Walmart? There must be cheaper options.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:27:40 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

I was thinking the 2" foam might provide more resistance, so it would stay
in place better. I was going to buy the 10' x 2" x 56" which s/b equivalent
to your 8". It's $240 from a local pond place though. Did you buy your foam
from a fabric shop or Walmart? There must be cheaper options.

We purchased thru AES (Aquatic Eco-Systems) not cheap. Got 1" because it
cleans to brand new condition. Not sure if 2" will. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Matala - is it durable? [email protected] Ponds 2 14-10-2011 09:27 PM
Matala Pad Arrived Today JB[_6_] Ponds (moderated) 1 30-05-2010 11:53 AM
Matala filter material Joe[_12_] Ponds (moderated) 4 03-05-2008 04:13 PM
bio filter media lee Ponds 2 03-03-2003 09:07 PM
carbon filter media + planted tanks Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 01-03-2003 03:06 AM