Old 22-10-2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Leaky bulkheads

I put together the filters today, two 3" bulkheads to Join Barrel A to
Barrel B and two 2" bulkheads to drain Barrel A and Barrel B. I still have
to put the 3" inflow bulkhead in Barrel A.

When I first started filling, only the 2"bulkhead in barrel A leaked, then
the 2 3" bulkheads started to drip. I suspect the weight of the water in the
barrels put some pressure on the 3" bulkheads. The 3" bulkheads almost
stopped leaking, but the one 2" bulkhead has a steady stream.

I think I'll disassemble the 2" bulkhead, as there almost seems to be a
physical defect (trapped plastic or cracked gasket), but what's the best
overall approach? Silicon on the Flange/Gasket side or Silicon on the
outside? All the bulkheads are nut in. The 2" bulkheads probably need
tightened a bit more, but the nuts are a little thin.

Old 22-10-2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:40:01 CST, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

I put together the filters today, two 3" bulkheads to Join Barrel A to
Barrel B and two 2" bulkheads to drain Barrel A and Barrel B. I still have
to put the 3" inflow bulkhead in Barrel A.

When I first started filling, only the 2"bulkhead in barrel A leaked, then
the 2 3" bulkheads started to drip. I suspect the weight of the water in the
barrels put some pressure on the 3" bulkheads. The 3" bulkheads almost
stopped leaking, but the one 2" bulkhead has a steady stream.

I think I'll disassemble the 2" bulkhead, as there almost seems to be a
physical defect (trapped plastic or cracked gasket), but what's the best
overall approach? Silicon on the Flange/Gasket side or Silicon on the
outside? All the bulkheads are nut in. The 2" bulkheads probably need
tightened a bit more, but the nuts are a little thin.

I just found out about Uniseals and they have some appeal for joining
a radiused surface with a tube. The hole is cut with a hole saw,
which helps to keep the hole round, or to the shape of what is going
into the hole. I haven't tried them yet, but I have a couple 4"
waiting to be put into service.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...etail/iid/8600

Regards,

Hal
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 22-10-2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:40:01 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

I put together the filters today, two 3" bulkheads to Join Barrel A to
Barrel B and two 2" bulkheads to drain Barrel A and Barrel B. I still have
to put the 3" inflow bulkhead in Barrel A.

When I first started filling, only the 2"bulkhead in barrel A leaked, then
the 2 3" bulkheads started to drip. I suspect the weight of the water in the
barrels put some pressure on the 3" bulkheads. The 3" bulkheads almost
stopped leaking, but the one 2" bulkhead has a steady stream.

I think I'll disassemble the 2" bulkhead, as there almost seems to be a
physical defect (trapped plastic or cracked gasket), but what's the best
overall approach? Silicon on the Flange/Gasket side or Silicon on the
outside? All the bulkheads are nut in. The 2" bulkheads probably need
tightened a bit more, but the nuts are a little thin.

Both. Silicon lathered on the threads, on the flange and even on the
outside of nut against barrel. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-10-2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I just found out about Uniseals and they have some appeal for joining
a radiused surface with a tube. The hole is cut with a hole saw,
which helps to keep the hole round, or to the shape of what is going
into the hole. I haven't tried them yet, but I have a couple 4"
waiting to be put into service.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...etail/iid/8600

I have always wondered why everyone here complains about the prices of
Bulkheads, until now - I followed the link above to them and couldn't
believe a 3" bulkhead (equivalent to what I use) listed at $70. At a farm
equipment dealer & supply depot in Canada, that bulkhead is $12. They use
them on the big plastic tanks that hold hundreds to thousands of gallons, to
haul water, liquid fertilizer and weed chemicals. Is it the fact that it is
listed for 'recreational pond use' ?
If they were that expensive, I would also be looking at Uniseals
Gale :~)

Rate This Thread: