Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default New article on Spring pond care

Koi and goldfish are becoming more active but don't rush into feeding
them until the water temp is at least 55 degrees. Doing a good clean
out in the Spring will make the whole season go smoother. Failing to
remove the gunk from the winter give algae head start. I found this
article Spring Pond Care (http://www.richdeer3pondsupplies.com/site/
1566246/page/938981) which reminds us all how important getting a
head start on the season is.

I bring all my fancies in over the winter and enjoy watching them in
my indoor pond. I'm also quarantining new fish until warmer weather.
I love pouring over water lily and iris descriptions while trying to
pick out new additions for this season. It's a great way to spend a
snow day.

I can't wait for Spring, Gail

Old 10-02-2008, 02:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 21:40:52 CST, "
wrote:

Koi and goldfish are becoming more active but don't rush into feeding
them until the water temp is at least 55 degrees. Doing a good clean
out in the Spring will make the whole season go smoother. Failing to
remove the gunk from the winter give algae head start. I found this
article Spring Pond Care (http://www.richdeer3pondsupplies.com/site/
1566246/page/938981) which reminds us all how important getting a
head start on the season is.

I bring all my fancies in over the winter and enjoy watching them in
my indoor pond. I'm also quarantining new fish until warmer weather.
I love pouring over water lily and iris descriptions while trying to
pick out new additions for this season. It's a great way to spend a
snow day.

I can't wait for Spring, Gail

I asked this before, but don't remember seeing an answer, fancy what, Gail?
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-02-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Spring (when it follows a real winter) is the absolutely worst time to do
pond care. The fish have not been fed, their immune system is down and the
"cooties" wake up before the fish's immune system does. The stress of them
being moved out of the pond, or even just "chased" in the pond during this
time will lay them open to disease. Here in zone 5 spring comes on March
21, but a typical unheated pond wont be over 55o until late April or early
May. And by that time the fish will be spawning and stressed and eggs are
very susceptible to bacterial infection while in the female. So it is best
to wait until spawning season is over.

It is not a good idea to buy fish in spring from areas where spring follows
a real winter either. "summer fish" already have a good immune system
online, spawning is over and they have recovered.

Fall is the best time to do pond care that involves more than lifting
plants in and out, or cleaning external filters etc.

INgrid

Rate This Thread: