Old 19-02-2008, 05:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default They live!!!!

A couple of months ago our pond was visited by a great blue heron...we
tried to chase him (her ?) away to no avail, just kept coming back.
After he finally left, there were no fish in site other then a couple he
managed to stab with his beak and kill but not extract to eat.

About a month ago I had to go in to the pond with my waders....no fish
in site.

Yesterday, was a stunningly warm day (set a new record here in Newark,
Delaware of 72F!) so out I went again to get some leaves out that had
gotten into the pond, remove a dead frog, and some general maint.
work....lo and behold my wife lets out a yelp of joy as 3 fish showed up!

Probably not good that I disturbed them, but we're so thankful that at
least some of our stock survived!

Jerry

Old 19-02-2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nice to hear they have made it!

Jim

Old 19-02-2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Your lucky,
Since Jan 1st, I have been visited several times by a great blue. Yesterday
I found him with two fish, despite my fishing line strung across the pond. I
hope the rest are hunkered down in the deep end. I guess I have to switch to
plan "b".
Rich K southeast,pa

Old 25-02-2008, 04:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Jerseyj wrote:

A couple of months ago our pond was visited by a great blue heron...we
tried to chase him (her ?) away to no avail, just kept coming back.
After he finally left, there were no fish in site other then a couple he
managed to stab with his beak and kill but not extract to eat.

About a month ago I had to go in to the pond with my waders....no fish
in site.

Yesterday, was a stunningly warm day (set a new record here in Newark,
Delaware of 72F!) so out I went again to get some leaves out that had
gotten into the pond, remove a dead frog, and some general maint.
work....lo and behold my wife lets out a yelp of joy as 3 fish showed up!

Probably not good that I disturbed them, but we're so thankful that at
least some of our stock survived!

Jerry

Provided they have a place to hide, fish have the instinct to avoid
these predators. Mine stayed at bottom of ponds for weeks after the
heron visited. I initially thought only a couple fish were left. Turns
out that darn near all of them survived.

Rate This Thread: