Old 01-03-2008, 11:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default March!!!

Oh my gosh! It is March already! Last year the frogs arrived soon after.
Anyone hear frogs in their local yet? I'm thinking tomorrow I'd better put
out the stock tank if the weather is nice. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

If my frogs stay on schedule I'll hear them this week.
For years and years we used to have a regional competition
the around the 5-7th of March. I always heard the frogs
that week - took it as a good omen for competition and
we always won!
I see iris coming up on Iris Island. Had a blue heron by
the pond around 6:30am the other morning. Redwing
blackbirds are having a block party in my backyard.

k :-)

Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our celery is growing, but the hyacinth is still dormant. Our
blackberries and blueberries are budding. No frogs yet. The pond
water is still in the 40's.

Jim

Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

we are still stuck in rotten winter under 2 feet of snow and it is varying from 10 to
20 degrees colder than normal. I am really thru with this winter. Ingrid

Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 1, 6:28*pm, kathy wrote:
If my frogs stay on schedule I'll hear them this week.
For years and years we used to have a regional competition
the around the 5-7th of March. I always heard the frogs
that week - took it as a good omen for competition and
we always won!
I see iris coming up on Iris Island. Had a blue heron by
the pond around 6:30am the other morning. Redwing
blackbirds are having a block party in my backyard.

I'm feeling envious due to living in Canadian zone 4a close to zone 3.
No pond yet, because the fish would need to be inside for 7 to 8
months of the year, but still dreaming!
d.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 1, 6:00 pm, ~ jan wrote:
Oh my gosh! It is March already! Last year the frogs arrived soon after.
Anyone hear frogs in their local yet? I'm thinking tomorrow I'd better put
out the stock tank if the weather is nice. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

No peeper noise here in DE yet, but I'll be listening. DH came in
yesterday with green pond stains on his sweatshirt -
"the big bullfrog was in the skimmer," he said, "and boy did he start
thrashing around when I took the lid off. I just left him there and
put the lid back on." That is a good sign, they usually just hide out
in the bottom of the upper little pond in the leaves we leave there
for them.
When the sun is out, we are seeing fish sunning themselves, and have
been sunning ourselves to try and preserve our month old Aruban tans -
ya know how well that is working, doncha?? But the sunshine feels so
good, and we feel so much better after getting our vit D. Seriously,
even in a jacket the sun IS good for your body.
Waiting impatiently for warm weather.
Nan in DE

Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

been sunning ourselves to try and preserve our month old Aruban tans -
ya know how well that is working, doncha?? But the sunshine feels so
good, and we feel so much better after getting our vit D. Seriously,
even in a jacket the sun IS good for your body. Nan

I hear you. I got some today. It was lovely even if only the mid 50's, full
sun no or little breeze. I vacced the blown leaves around the koi ponds and
then set up the stock tank w/fountain. Hopefully any early frogs will
locate to it. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 03-03-2008, 06:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

MS was in the upper 70's today.

Jim

Old 03-03-2008, 06:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"denizen" wrote in message
I'm feeling envious due to living in Canadian zone 4a close to zone 3.
No pond yet, because the fish would need to be inside for 7 to 8
months of the year, but still dreaming!

=========================
You can have a lovely pond without fish! :-) A nice waterfall and some
pretty pond plants would make a nice natural looking pond. The critters that
will turn up can take care of themselves over the winter.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
Oh my gosh! It is March already! Last year the frogs arrived soon after.
Anyone hear frogs in their local yet? I'm thinking tomorrow I'd better put
out the stock tank if the weather is nice. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

============================
I heard the first frogs in the neighbor's stock pond today. And today, the
first daffodil blooms opened. :-) It was 70F but very breezy all day.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

denizen wrote:
On Mar 1, 6:28 pm, kathy wrote:
If my frogs stay on schedule I'll hear them this week.
For years and years we used to have a regional competition
the around the 5-7th of March. I always heard the frogs
that week - took it as a good omen for competition and
we always won!
I see iris coming up on Iris Island. Had a blue heron by
the pond around 6:30am the other morning. Redwing
blackbirds are having a block party in my backyard.

I'm feeling envious due to living in Canadian zone 4a close to zone 3.
No pond yet, because the fish would need to be inside for 7 to 8
months of the year, but still dreaming!
d.

I'm looking at my backyard and all I see is white.

The fish are down there somewhere.

Never lost a fish yet over the winter in 5 years.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 3, 1:45*pm, ©anadian Ponder " wrote:
The fish are down there somewhere.

Never lost a fish yet over the winter in 5 years

You must be in the banana belt of southern Ontario, eh? They can even
grow grapes there. Here we have zucchini and bears .
d.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

grump
Damn, I hate this time of year! All those smug southerners talking about
Spring. We've just had our thaw - now we'll be back in for another 4 weeks
of winter. It's always a laugh on Groundhog day when they say "Six more
weeks", because six weeks would be a record short winter!
/grump

denizen wrote:

On Mar 3, 1:45Â*pm, ©anadian Ponder " wrote:
The fish are down there somewhere.

Never lost a fish yet over the winter in 5 years

You must be in the banana belt of southern Ontario, eh? They can even
grow grapes there. Here we have zucchini and bears .
d.

I lived in Southern Ontario for 20+ years - and many friends have
vineyards - and yet temperatures routinely got to -20C and winter often
didn't end before mid-April (I remember one entire April commuting to
Michigan through snow storms). I never lost a _significant_ fish, either,
though I'd often find a 5cm or smaller goldfish frozen in the ice.

btw, what colour are the bears? :-)
--
derek

Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

denizen wrote:
On Mar 3, 1:45 pm, ©anadian Ponder " wrote:
The fish are down there somewhere.

Never lost a fish yet over the winter in 5 years

You must be in the banana belt of southern Ontario, eh? They can even
grow grapes there. Here we have zucchini and bears .
d.

YES ....you are right ! I am in Southern Ontario and we still complain
from our winters.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 4, 11:02*am, Derek Broughton wrote:

btw, what colour are the bears? :-)
--

They're called black bears but can have a brownish tinge. They can
also smell bad, depending on which dumpster they're feeding from.

Another decade of global warming and we'll have koi in the north
too :-) .
d.

Rate This Thread: