Old 01-04-2008, 06:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Little Giant Papyrus planting question

I just purchased a Little Giant Papyrus and have a question in regards
to planting it. I want to place it in a little 8 to 12 inch deep area
where I have put a little rocky bar of gravel. (Most of my pond has a
liner bottom). I am trying to not put it in a basket of any type as
aesthetically is will not look good in one. What is the best way to
go about planting it on the rocks so it will not float away? Can I
just pull it out of the container, place it in the rocks and then put
a few rocks around it to hold it into place? Do I need to anchor it
with soil? Most of my other plants are in those soft fabric
containers with aquatic soil. I obviously cannot use the same type of
soil without a bag at it will all dissipate.

Also, if I must put it in something can I use a plastic pot that other
non-aquatic plants came in or do I need to worry about chemicals
leeching out of the plastic?

Thanks in advance,

Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
A Sel wrote:

[...]

Papyrus will get top heavy, and roots will need to spread. They should
be in a container. Black plastic plant container will not hard fish.
Surround with rocks to anchor (and hide) Papyrus, even dwarf will spread.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My cyperus (papyrus) goes into my veggie filter bare root. I tie it to the fencing
behind the pond so the roots are just in the water in the veggie filter. by mid
summer the roots are all the way to the bottom of the filter and hold the plant
upright. Ingrid

Old 02-04-2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
[...]

Has anybody studied hydroponics (no, not for growing weed in your
basement) but growing plants in nothing but liquid. I remember an
exhibit at Expo at Disneyworld that grew corn that way. I was impressed
by the huge root systems just hanging in misty space. Maybe that effort
could help design more efficient veggie filters.

Chip

Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

nearly every year I stick a left over cherry tomato plant in my veggie filter and it
grows gangbusters. This year I pulled the plant out, hung it upside down in my shed
and plucked ripe tomatoes for a while. Ingrid

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:44:24 EDT, Chip wrote:
Has anybody studied hydroponics (no, not for growing weed in your
basement) but growing plants in nothing but liquid. I remember an
exhibit at Expo at Disneyworld that grew corn that way. I was impressed
by the huge root systems just hanging in misty space. Maybe that effort
could help design more efficient veggie filters.

Chip

Rate This Thread: